BEFORE

Carina's POV :

Andy stayed with us a little while, until it was too cold to stay outside. So she handed us the big package she said was for Celeste and left with Bianca. We tried to kiss our oldest goodbye but she was very moody and just walked to Andy's car, without looking back at us, only hugging Celeste and whispering something to her ear.

On the other hand, Celeste was having so much fun outside, and she was so energized I even wondered if it was a good idea to make her have a nap when she still had to have an early night. The small girl didn't mind Andy. She just ignored her, minding her own business. It wasn't really the good time for a proper meeting.

So at around six pm, we came back in the peads floor and I helped our daughter in the shower as she had to wash herself with povidone-iodine.

I undressed Celeste and sat her on the plastic fold-up seat. I started the water, being careful with the temperature and I firstly cleaned her with basic soap. Then I poured some betadine in my hands and tried to scrub it on her body but I couldn't. The small girl wiggled to avoid me.

"Come here bella. Let me apply that on you."

"Nooo I no like !" She whined so I retracted my hands.

"Why baby ? What is it ?"

"No soap. Want soap." Celeste explained the best she could, pointing to the basic soap.

"I know sweetie, but this is a soap you have to clean yourself with when you stay at the hospital. Look, it's orange just like the bath bomb from last time !"

I was able to get her curiosity on the color of the povidone-iodine so she let me wash her body with it. When we were over, I enveloped my daughter in a hospital towel, not the softest but it was doing the job and I dressed her back in a gown before sitting her up on the bed.

Maya sat next to her and started braiding her hair.

"Now sleepover ?" Celeste asked with a little smile.

"Now sleepover." Maya agreed and helped our daughter under the cover. A nurse came in and set a tray of food in front of a sleepy Celeste.

"Hungry." The toddler stated and I looked at my wife who was as surprised as I was. Celeste was never hungry and meal times were the hardest but with the time she spent playing in the park plus the stress from the hospital I understood why she was starving.

We fed her easily for the first time, even with the not very tasty food of the hospital.

Thankfully, we could cast films on the hospital TV, so we played Rapunzel until Celeste closed her eyes. When she was deeply sleeping, Arizona entered the room and I motioned for her to be quiet and let our girl rest. I followed her in the corridor while Maya kept an eye on Celeste.

"I wanted to go through tomorrow with you."

I nodded

I nodded.

"She'll need to be ready at 5 in the morning, with an empty stomach, hair tied up and a clean gown. An intern will prep her, and I'll operate with Miranda Bailey on her bleeds. It should take one or two hours maximum and your little girl will be brand new. She won't have to stay overnight tomorrow, I trust you to take care of her from home, but I'll schedule a follow up in a week."

"Thank you Arizona, thank you so much." I hugged my friend and came back to Maya and Celeste, explaining to my wife what Dr Robbins told me.

Maya's POV :

I decided not to sleep this night. Well, it wasn't like I would've be able to anyway. So I kept an eye on Celeste all night long as my wife went to deliver babies, it was her way to stop stressing about Celeste's surgery.

At four and a half, I laid next to my daughter. "Hey honey, wake up. Open your eyes for mo- Maya. Wake up my love." I stroked her face and she stretched her limbs but turned so her back was facing me.

"No no no, stay awake baby girl."

Finally Celeste sat up and I took her in my arms

"Tiwred..." She whispered.

"I know, I know." I took a deep breathe. "Celeste look at me, look at Maya."

She turned and was now sitting on my lap, facing me.

"I want you to be a brave girl today. The nice doctor from yesterday will heal your booboos."

"Hurwt ?"

"No, it won't hurt, you'll be sleeping the whole time."

"Surgery ?" She then asked and it surprised me.

"Yes, you're having surgery. How do you know this word ?"

"I booboos here, and here and here and here before." She said pointing to her chest, her wrists, her head and belly. That corresponded to what we've read on her file the day before. "Surgery no scary, because sleepy."

"That's true baby. But hey, I think you have a present, you didn't opened it yet." I changed the subject not wanting to talk about the abuse or the surgery, and I gave her Andy's gift. She threw the wrapping paper on the floor and opened the box. I saw her eyes lit up when she discovered the present. It was a tricycle, a sort of bike but with three wheels, for children.

"Fow me ?"

"Of course, only for you my girl." I kissed the top of her head.

"Twy it !" She screamed.

"Not now, you'll have to be fully healed to try it, but I'm sure it'll be in to time, you're such a brave girl." I hugged my little girl tight and Carina appeared at the door, followed by Arizona, a nurse and an intern.

" I hugged my little girl tight and Carina appeared at the door, followed by Arizona, a nurse and an intern