RAIN

TW : Death, POTS

--

Carina's POV :

"Oh bambina..." I breathed out again, sitting on the ground with her. I pulled her on my lap and made her rest her head on my chest to calm her down. Maya crouched next to us, stoking the young girl's back up and down while soothing her with sweet words of comfort. The funeral director came back to tell us that it was time to bury Bianca's parents. I looked down at the teenager and she managed to nod. I stood up and crouched in front of her, wiping the stray of tears all over her face.

"You can do this honey. One more thing and it'll all be over. Then we can go home."

She didn't even look at me but took my hand and squeezed it. When we approached the front door, we realized that it was raining a lot and it was very dark outside, not because it was night time, it was still before noon, but because of the big gray clouds covering the sky.

Fortunately Maya had the umbrellas in her bag and she handed us each one of them. We opened them and walked outside, joining the small crowd which was encircling the two holes where the coffins were supposed to rest for the eternity. We made our way in the front and waited. A man said some words and the coffins started going down. People threw flowers on the coffins, and a lady handed a flower to Bianca, who looked at it before squeezing it as hard as she could and throwing it on her mother's coffin. She did the same with her father, and then people started leaving slowly. Few minutes later, there was only my wife, Bianca and I.

"Ready to go little one ?" Asked Maya.

In response, the young girl dropped her umbrella. The rain was now soaking her so I tried to cover the two of us under my umbrella but Bianca stepped to the side. She seemed like she wanted to feel the rain on her face, and I let her do so.

"Isn't she gonna be sick ?" Maya questioned, worried that our foster daughter was going to catch the cold.

I shrugged. I didn't want to force Bianca to do anything and now she seemed at peace, her head slightly turned to the sky and the rain falling on her frail body.

But suddenly, a loud thunderclap stormed and Bianca not only flinched, but she fell to the ground, making some mud splash on my shoes.

"Noooooo please ! PLEASE NOT AGAIN !!" She screamed, obviously terrorized by the storm. She was screaming incomprehensible noises so I scooped her in my arms and Maya covered us with her umbrella. I tried to calm her down but it was hard ad the thunder kept storming. So I stood up and held her in my embrace. I carried her to the car and sat with her on the back seat. She wasn't yelling anymore but little wails were making their way out of her mouth. Her breathing wasn't very calm either, and she kept moving uncomfortably on my lap. After a little time, she was calmer so I tried to soothe her so she could rest a bit.

"You can try to sleep sweetie. You had a rough morning." I murmured, but she only pushed her head more into the crook of my neck to hide. I could feel how cold she was getting because of her wet clothes.

Maya was checking on us through the rear-mirror and she seemed worried, but relieved that the ceremony finally ended. We drove in silence to the apartment and when I went to carry Bianca inside, she pushed me away a little to stand up on her own. When she was on her feet, she stumbled but regained her balance resting her hands on the car.

"Are you sure you don't want me to help you walk ?" I asked concerned of her actual state.

She shook her head ans started walking to the building's door, pushing it open. Maya and I followed her closely to prevent any fall. She was able to walk upstairs by herself which impressed me, but as soon as Maya unlocked the front door and she reached the inside of the apartment, she collapsed on the floor.

"OH MY GOD" Maya yelled, as I was closing the door behind me. I wasn't facing them so I didn't see the fall but I heard the loud thud of her weak body hitting painfully the ground.

"Bambina !" I screamed running to her. Maya had already turning her body so she was laid on her back, but her eyes were closed. I held her hand in mine and asked her "Bianca if you hear me, can you squeeze my hand ?" But she didn't move.

"She's passed out." I stated, even if the situation was obvious.