SICK

TW : Vomiting, Death

--

Hazel's POV :

The car ride was very quiet. Carina was commenting on the weather and the traffic jam, while Maya was carefully checking she had everything she needed, and maybe I needed, in her bag.

We soon arrived at the cemetery and I didn't dare look at it. When we stepped out of the car, a man walked to us. He presented himself as the funeral director and explained that most of the close friends and family of my parents were already there, waiting for us.

So we followed him in a little building and just before entering one of the main room, he stopped and looked at Maya and Carina.

"So in this room are resting Bianca's parents. You can go say goodbye to them, then sit in the front row where a bench is reserved for you three. The ceremony will begin when you're ready and at the end if one of you want to say something, you can. I'll give you few more minutes after everyone leaves to say your prayers."

I looked up at my two foster moms who nodded and shook the man's hand. He opened the door and invited us to come in before him but I stopped in my way and gripped Carina's hand. She turned and interrogatively stared at me.

"What if I can't do it ?" I murmured almost too quietly that it was inaudible.

"What was that bambina ?" Questioned Carina, I must have spoken too quietly, so I repeated.

"I think I can't do it." I said now more as a statement than a question.

"Yes you can baby. Take a deep breathe and be brave. We're just behind you." Maya stepped in.

I nodded hesitantly, and after taking some deep breathes, I walked in.

Once we were walking down to the coffins, people started staring at me. I didn't even look at them. I just kept walking until I raised my eyes and was met with two strangers, laying on silk sheets. My eyes opened wide, understanding it was my parents, even if they didn't look like them at all. They were so pale, their skin looked like it was crackling at a single touch, they had scratches and wounds all over their bodies, probably because they were injured during the storm. They looked like wax statues, but very well realized. They looked like they could wake up at any time, like zombies, and it scared me a lot. They looked like corpses, they were corpses. But they were my parents.

All those thoughts ran through my head in five seconds before I had the first gag reflex. Then another one, and again, until I really understood I was going to be sick. I ran all the way to the door and then outside, where my stomach emptied itself on the ground. I was out of breathe and kept having gag reflex, just at the thought of the image of my dead parents in coffins.

I vomited a second time and soon after it, Maya and Carina's hands were holding my hair up and stroking my back.

"What happened ?" Asked Maya, very concerned.

I tried to open my mouth to speak but a new wave of puke made its way up my throat and I threw up one last time. My stomach couldn't be emptier.

"Oh sweetheart..." Sighed Carina, arranging my hair behind my back. Maya at the same time, took a tissue from her bag and wiped my mouth. She then gave ma a water bottle to rinse my mouth and I did so, but the only sensation of the liquid on my tongue made me want to be sick all over again, so I quickly spat it out.

"Are you still feeling sick ?" Asked Carina, checking my temperature by resting the back of her hand on my forehead.

I didn't feel like talking so I just shook my head no.

"Do you want to come home ? Or do you want to go back inside ?" Maya questioned, her hand on my shoulder.

"I... I-" It felt like my gag reflex was pushing its limits so I only pointed the building, indicating I wanted to get back to the ceremony.