87

The bliss of the moment. The happiness of the revelation. The contentment to fight yourself for yourself. The victorious smile to have agreed to the offerings of life. Saying it was easy would be mockery to turmoil and the toiling of their hearts and minds and soul.

Reyansh now knew. He knew he was going to be an elder brother. He knew that there would be someone, he could baby and boss around. His parents made him know all of it. All they were fighting from. And they are trying even now.

Sidharth assured her that they will pass through it. He made her believe that it was all fated. Ill-fate. He had promised her to be with her in all the phases they will be put in. And he was abiding by it, with the next moment. But his own heart was in his mouth. Fearing. Sacred. Throbbing. Excited. Anxious. He wanted to confide his fears too, and knowing that she can be the same, he feared to make her weak again, by loosing his own determination. He couldn't do that. Not when she has slept, and so peacefully in his arms. Content. Determined. And ready for the life. He pressed his lips to her forehead. She wriggled and snuggled more in him, finding her solace in him. He gave her that. Solace. And pulled her closer, so as to seek the strength that he was loosing every minute.

"Papa, mumma......papa help...." Reyansh wheezed, unable to breathe.

His face flashed before him, breaking him in sweats. He remembered how he left him, and was late to even pick up the call. He failed. And it stung his eyes, with the tears ready to spill, overflowing in his eyes. Her belly that his palm rested on shivered, and blinking away the tear, he caressed it.

"I am sorry Reyansh......Papa is so sorry to be so careless, that it cost us you....." his heart pleaded. "I promise I will never let anything happen to you baby, nothing will be there to harm you, I promise" he whispered in his soul to the baby, that would be just a tiny ball, or may be much smaller. He wished both his children hear his pleas and prayers.

"Main kar paaunga na Reyansh. Was I not a good father to you?? Say na baby.....bol kuch bol de please....." his soft whisper resonated in their eerily silnet balcony. Even with happiness within him, he felt the stab of pain course through him rendering him lifeless.

"I don't know where am I.....aisa. lag rha hai aisi jagah aa gya hun jahan rasta dikh rha hai...par us pr aage badhne ki himmat nahi ho paa rhi.....pichle raaste ka fear abhi bhi hai.....woh fear jaa nhi skta main kitni bhi koshish karun...kuch bhi karun.....that fear, it just engulfs me more.....abhi bata main kya krun." he ranted on further, with his eyes gazing the stars, talking to the brightest star twinkling at him, as if responding to him. Human mind, when in turmoil nothing makes sense, like the way he was loosing it, knowing the fact that stars appear to be twinkling because its lights being refracted as it passes through different layers of atmosphere. Science defy to work, logic fails, and nothing seems inappropriate or unscientific when the mind is in a weird state as his.

"Mumma.....she cried so much today. She is terified. Unko bhi dar lag rha hai.....meri tarah shayad. She blames herself for your death....." and he flinched at his own words. Death, the inevitable phase of ones life, the destination to the journey called life, the eternal truth, but his heart, the heart of a father just denies to accept it.

He still hopes, his son would come running to him from some corner of the house and lung into his arms as he returns from work. He still hopes he would just come from somewhere kiss his head when it feels like it is being hammered constantly. His kiss might not cure the pain, but it does relieve from the fatigue it caused. The weariness vanishing just with a smile. He still hopes, he would come and wrap himself around his legs and pester him for a icecream or a piggy ride or a story. Story. He never had known any story, yet he has narrated a thousand of them to him. The impromptu stories, that hardly ever reached it's end. He would sleep before that. He still hopes. Hopes that has no light to it. That has died down, to never light up again.