20

"Sidharth baccha, aaja breakfast krke hi jaaega aaj tu" Maa's voice resonated through the empty hall. He heard her and sighed, knowing the breakfast bickering that laid ahead. All suited and ready for the day, Sidharth, came out of his room.

"Good morning Maa" he wished her, followed by kiss on her forehead.

"Good morning baccha" she replied back caressing his face. "Chal baith main abhi nasta laga ke deti hun"

"Maa main office mein kr lunga, abhi main jaata hun warna late ho jaaega" he excused

"Sidharth, chup chaap baith jaa yahan, Maa hun mein teri smajha na, pata hai mujhe kitna khaega tu office mein, sab khabar rehti hai mujhe teri" she reprimanded, walking away to get him a plate, and forced him to eat the breakfast.

"Maa" his face scrunched, for being forced and Maa just laughed it off

***********

Maa was informed the next morning of Reyansh's demise. Leaving everything she rushed back home to hold his son and daughter-in-law. But when she came, she didn't find Sana. She even asked about her to Sidharth, but he kept mum. That was the first and the last time when she was discussed in the house. Reasoning something silly he just asked her not to talk about or her. "Maa please mujhe koi baat nahi karni hai uske baare mein, please or main chahunga ki uski baaatien na ho yahan, please Maa" he requested her with his hands joined and and unaffectionate emotion reflected in his eyes. Something, that even pricked his heart momentarily but he surfaced it with his anger, with the irreplaceable and unavoidable grief, that she has caused. It was what strangers have, a queerness. But did he really hate her? Has the separation that the life has caused, that the life played really pulled them apart, to reconcile ever? Was it that easy to persuade the heart, that once reverberated for and because of her? Did he really believe that she was the one responsible for Reyansh? Or was it frustration, his ego or his way to get away with the guilt.

When its our own character which is under scrutiny, the excuses become justification. We refuse to accept responsibility. Often, we don't even admit that there is a problem to ourselves. We just make up stories instead of examining ourselves. We defy to believe that we can ever be wrong. Wasn't he doing the same? He believed her at fault, but can a mother, who endured a life in her, as her own part, who has the heart soul in that child can ever do that. He in his heart believed, that it can never be because of her, but his mind and his anger subside every argumentation. The reason he was doing was to ease the pain. But was it easing the pain he was feeling?

***********

He entered the office with the, forever charismatic and alluring personality. The bustling corners quietened and his footsteps were the only sound that vibrated in the towering complex of his work. Everybody greeted him and he just smiled at them, responding to their wishes. He was followed to the cabin by Anahita, with his schedule for the day.

"Sir, today your schedule is clear after the lunch and prior to lunch is your meeting with the Raichand's" she briefed, seating the related files on his table.

"Hmm, fine get me a coffee", he gave the curt reply. Nodding she turned to leave, but stopped and turned back again to him.

"Sidharth.....s..sir, How are you?" as Anahita's fumbling words came, he felt the void, and he hated that sympathizing look that Anahita had on with that question. Her intent might not be what he depicted, but those pitiful looks she has on her face while asking, didn't set right with him.

"Is it about the meeting" he paid no heed to her concerns. Work talks, or no talks, he adopted the motto.

"No Sidharth, I am just concerned and that's why I am just asking as a friend, how are you. You know outside the office you and I are friends and I am there for you", she conversed, without his will to talk.