2 Memories (I)

Ellis De Stella
20 miles off coast of Virginia
June 10th

[Dirty laundry by Don Henley starts]
This town was an interesting one, in its hayday it was an old fortification for the colonists. The only thing left of the original fort is part of its tall sandstone walls, worn smooth with age, that now protect the WW2 era Army base and airfield. The base was gritty and basic and hadn't really had any major advances since before the end of the cold war, for God sakes the soldiers there are still wearing the old M51 steel helmets and flak jackets.
The down town was built in between the industrial and depression era, but the mighty uptown was built in the 50's just after world war 2. The docks have been here since 1745 and many a fisherman have went missing trying to find it, that stupid-assed light house seems to only work on a clear day and never during a fog or storm. The garden and science districts were built in the 80's to ensure the town's survival as well as stay inside the health code guide lines.... But why does a hospital need to be 5 stories above and 4 stories below ground? I don't fuggin' know. But there are stories of one Doctor named Remius Alex Foriegnton who created this weird device called the TiaDiDaMoMa, afterwards he went missing. There are memorials that reside in the garden district, they include war memorials, a black plauge memorial, a statue of Washington, and a... a.... I don't want to talk about it right now.
First: Get back to my pad.
I walked down the seemingly wider than usual streets, the clouds rolled out of the way to reveal the bright gleaming sun. It revealed to me the intricately layed brick path, probably done in the industrial revolution, and seen the stagnant water in the crevices.... seemed like a mosquito paradise. Between uptown and down town there is an old art-deco building with a side ways observatory like window, that window led to my room, it appeared to be just as I left it 10 years ago. I continued around the corner of the building and saw my old '64 Plymouth Barracuda with a now, torn up with age, tarp over it... Just as I left it, tires looked flat. I walked into the first floor of the building which happed to be 'Mr. Higgin's Antiques and Acourments' and walked up to the counter to see a frail older man with an old news boy cap, wire framed glasses, and an old white and brown checkered suit.

Mr Higgin: Your back! Oh how long I've waited to see a friendly face, have you seen all the gonja-heads around here?
Me (Jason): Nah, they keep to themselves when they see a guy like me.
Mr. Higgin: I would guess so [he cracked a devil like smile]
Me (Jason): I would like to go to my house, ya still got the key.

Mr. Higgin pulled the key out of his jacket pocket like a long lost artifact and handed it to me very carefully.

Mr. Higgin: Just as you left it, Glad your back.
Me (Jason): Thanks, Glad to be back.

As I walked up the creaky stairs a slew of memories came back... including the first and last time I had walked these stairs.