192

The Next Morning

I woke up to the suns light cutting through my eyelids, before any of the others had woken. Amy and Tahli were laying next to Magar's baby, while Bailey sat up against the dragons side. The air was cool and quiet, with only the sound of Magar's breath, and the distant sound of birds in the early morning cutting through the silence. I stood to my feet and silently approached Bailey as she slept.

"Hey... Wake up." I said as I prodded her shoulder.

She groaned as she swayed her head back and forth before fluttering her eyes, then looking up at me. 

"Sleep well?" I asked as I held out my hand to help her to her feet.

"As good as any other night. You?" 

I chuckled.

"For what it's worth, yea, I guess I slept well enough." I replied.

Magar grunted, grabbing the attention of both of us.

"Well?" I asked.

Bailey looked back at me, puzzled.

"Well what?" She replied.

I sighed.

"Are you coming with us?" I asked bluntly.

Bailey tilted her head down slowly, and took in a breath.

"Yeah, I'm coming with you. But please don't let May get killed." She replied reluctantly.

I put my hand on her shoulder, and looked her in the eyes.

"Magar doesn't stand a chance Bailey. None of us do. It's over." I replied.

"No, not Magar, May. Magar's baby." Bailey said with a slight grin.

I looked over my shoulder at the baby dragon, now with Amy and Tahli slowly waking up next to her.

"So that's what you want to name her?" 

Bailey nodded with a smile.

"Alright. Well, what she does isn't up to us. It's up to her. If she decides to follow her mother into the fighting, we can't do anything to stop her. I'm sorry." I said.

Bailey's face changed as I said this.

"Whatever. I'll be over there." She said as she stormed away.

"Well? Are we going in on foot or in the air?" 

I turned around as Tahli and Amy approached me, with bows in hand.

"Yeah, she's coming with us. She's even given the youngster a name. May." I replied.

"Nothing like being given an identity just before you die." Tahli said as she handed me my bow.

I sighed.

"Yeah, well, you never know. Maybe we'll be lucky." Amy added.

Tahli turned and looked at her.

"Don't be overly optimistic. You'll set yourself up for disappointment."

Amy shrugged her shoulders, before looking back to me.

"So.... What's the plan?"

"Like I said, we fly until we run into our opposition. Once we do, we kill as many as we can before either they're all dead, or, much more likely, we get shot down and killed." I replied.

"Hey! Are you three coming or not?" Bailey yelled angrily.

I motioned for Amy and Tahli to follow as Magar slowly rose to her feet and stretched out her wing.

"Let's go." I said.

The four of us sat atop Magar's back, with our weapons clenched in our hands. Mt heart was beating out of my chest as Magar spread her wings and made a running start into the air, with May close behind her. We ascended up above the morning clouds of orange, greeted by the stunning sight of massive cloud columns in all directions filling the sky as the sun slowly made its way into the sky.

"So... How long before we get out of the mountains?" Amy asked.

"I'm not sure. I've kind of lost track of how long it's taken us to get to this point. And I doubt it will take her as long to fly as it took us to walk. It will certainly be several days. Once we do breach the edge of the mountains, there's no telling how quickly we'll be thrown into combat. Be ready for anything." I said.