27

We arrived back at the cave several hours later Doron landed just at the edge of treeline, and lowered his wing to allow Tahli and I to dismount. Micha was sitting up against the a boulder with Veracon at her feet sleeping. Micha jumped up and ran to hug me. After we finished our seemingly daily hug, Micha turned to greet Tahli.

"Tahli? I'm Micha.. Not sure if you remember me or not." Micha said.

"I remember you a bit, you have certainly grown." Said Tahli.

Micha whistled for Veracon to come to her side, and he did so, rubbing his massive head up against her.

"This is Veracon, and it looks like you've already met Doron." Micha said.

"Haha ya... He got me out of that awful place..." Tahli said.

She paused for a moment, then formed a puzzled look on her face.

"Why did you come for me?" She asked.

I pointed at Ragon sleeping by the cave. I went over to him and poked at him until he woke up. I motioned for him to follow me over to Tahli, who's eyes had gone wider than i'd ever seen before.

"This is Ragon... He's the only one without a rider. So you're going to be his rider. We're going to use them to end this pointless state of suffering that our people have been living in for the past hundred years." I said in a determined voice.

Tahli looked at me like I was insane, but before she could respond, Ragon had come to within just a few feet of her. She looked at me, but I motioned for her to pay attention to Ragon.

"Touch him." I said.

She cautiously reached out her hand, until it met Ragon's nose. He closed his eyes and lowered his head in submission to Tahli.

"He's... beautiful." She said.

Tahli's face went from afraid to delighted and happy in a matter of seconds. Ragon seemed to be happy as well.

"What do you think? Ever thought you would bond with a dragon?" I asked.

Tahli chuckled.

"Ha, I never thought i'd even SEE a dragon. How on earth did you manage?" She asked.

"Our dad found them while taking shelter from a storm while hunting. They were buried near a volcano. Apparently they were buried deep enough to be kept alive by the heat from the volcano. We brought them out to this cave when our parents were killed, hatched them, and have been raising them ever since." I explained.

Tahli looked surprised at my response,  but just shrugged her shoulders in agreement.

"Why?" She asked.

Micha and I looked at each other for a moment, then back at Tahli.

"We are going to use them to overthrow the king, and end all this suffering, just like I said back at the jail." I said.

"But, not yet. First Veracon and your new dragon, Ragon, need to get a bit bigger. Doron is big enough to fight, but they are still a bit to small. Not worth the risk yet." I said.

"Maybe we should show her how to ride." Micha said.

"Ya, I agree. Let's do it." I agreed.

"Wait, now?" Tahli said.

"Yes. There's no time to waste. Climb on." I said. 

Micha and I ran to mount our dragons, turned towards the forest and gave the order to fly.

"Hang on to his quills and tell him to fly!" I called from atop Doron.

We started towards the treeline to take off, I just hoped that we could get the hang of it in time.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Mountain Dragon"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!