105

Doron ascended higher and higher, until we could see for miles off in each direction. I looked around as we flew through the cool air. Birds flying around over head, and below the dragon. Doron panned his head back and forth, scanning the trees below, that from that height, looked like weeds. The clouds over head blocked out the sun, except periodic moments when the sun found a small gap between them. Doron banked to the left and dove down towards the forest floor, before ascending back up and continued to look around.

"What is it?" I asked him as though I expected an answer.

He grunted as he banked back and forth. At some points getting right down above the trees before going back up to high above the forest. He clicked, cawed and screeched and Roared as he flew through the air. 

"What are you chasing?" I asked him.

Obviously he didn't respond, but he continued on through the sky over the forest, until suddenly he snapped his head to the left, before banking off in that direction. He rolled over and dove down to just above the tree level, looking around as he passed over head. I Looked around as well, but I didn't see anything. I was certain he was chasing a prey animal that he planned to bring back for Magar, though I still had the feeling that it was no such thing. Doron screeched as he scanned the forest floor, as if to ward off what ever was in the area. Up ahead, in the distance, peaking through the trees, was a hill. Doron dropped down so low that I thought he was going to fly into the trees. It looked like her was trying to hide behind the hill as he approached, and I sensed what ever he was after was just on the other side of it.

"Easy. Don't get us killed." I said nervously.

He continued to glide silently over the trees, without making a sound. The hill grew larger and larger as we got nearer to it. I looked up to the top of the hill to see if what ever Doron was hunting was there, but of course, there was nothing. Doron remained completely silent as he came up on the hill, which was out of character for him. He was usually one to make himself known to what ever he was hunting, as he seemed to get pleasure out of instilling fear into his target, so for him to put so much effort into remaining unseen and unheard was very odd, and made me feel a fear that I hadn't felt before.

"Oh God." I said under my breath as Doron pitched up to fly over the hill.

He flew up the side of the hill with out a sound, or even a flap of his wings. As we neared the top, I expected to be greeted with a battalion of armed soldiers ready to shot us down. Doron reached the crest of the hill and let out an ear shattering roar as he presented himself to the men below. But instead of a large, well armed group of soldiers, there was only a small group of men, with just five men in total, on three horses. Doron dove down on them, screeching and hissing. But I sensed that they had something more to offer than just there slit throats and pools of blood.

"Down!" I commanded.

Doron circled around them before landing in front of the group. I slide down his wing and drew my bow as I approached the group. I had hoped there wouldn't be an ambush, I just hoped I was right.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!