158

Several Days Later

The memories of the past flooded my mind as we flew through the morning air. Bailey was clinging to my torso as I gripped Doron's quills, with Veracon and Ragon flying along side. Magar had managed to get into the air once again, indicating that her leg was healing faster than I thought it would, though Bailey's head wound was still causing her severe pain, hindering her ability to function without help. At the moment the sun began to blanket the landscape with its light, she was asleep, nuzzled up against my body. Magar flew close to Doron's side, calling out for Bailey's attention several time, but with no response. The wind light, but cooling as it whipped my hair back, exposing my throat to the raw chill of the early morning air. I felt Bailey shuffle slightly, so I looked down at her and placed my hand on the back of her head.

"Don't worry. I'll never let anything happen to you again." I said softly.

Just as I looked up, the sun nearly blinded me with its unrivalled brightness. For a moment, I loosened my grip on Doron's back to shield my eyes from the sun, and was nearly knocked off by the powerful flapping of his wings, keeping his massive body soaring high above the wide open plains below. I gazed out over the endless grassland that stretched out to the horizon, wondering what it would soon look like. I thought about the countless men, women and children who would almost certainly die in the coming months and years, with no protection, no home, and no hope. I looked around at the dragons flying along side me, and tried to imagine what was going through their minds. Ever since they were babies, they've lived lives of peace and tranquility, with the exception of the first dragons to be born. The skies were void of other dragons, with only ours claiming the skies as their own. I wondered what the other dragons would do should they be found by our new enemy, with no guidance. I feared that many of them would die, not knowing how to fight for their lives, and with no adults to protect them. I felt guilty for leaving them all behind, but I also knew that taking them all along with us wouldn't be an option. We had no time to gather them all, and no way to keep them safe. Suddenly, as my train of thought began to deviate to other things, Doron perked his head up and started scanning the horizon.

"What is it?" I asked loudly over the sound of the air rushing past my head.

Doron made a quick vocalization, before banking to his right and descending rapidly towards the ground. I could feel a sense of urgency flowing through the dragons veins as he made for what ever he had sensed was wrong. I looked back to see the other dragons following closely behind us, all of the, focused intently on something I couldn't see. My heart started pounding as I sensed we were nearing what ever had grabbed their attention, and I had a strong feeling it was something I would rather not be bothered with.

"If it's something dangerous, turn back now!" I shouted.

Doron payed me no attention as he zero'd in on his unclear target. I sat on his back with Bailey in my arms, confused beyond belief, until up ahead, I spotted smoke rising high above the ground ,blackening out the otherwise bright blue sky. I squinted my eyes, trying to see what was causing the smoke to rise, and was soon hit with the realization that it was a small village, set ablaze and burnt to the ground.

"My God.... Get us there! Now!" I shouted.