7

Micha stared at the eggs in the case for a moment, then turned and looked at me.

"W-Where did you get them?" She asked as she switched over from sad to confused.

"Dad found them in a cave by the volcano when he got caught up in the storm. They were buried there because the heat from underground kept the dormant dragon chicks alive". I said.

"So.. what do we do with them?" Micha said.

There was a slight pause, as I briefly debated whether I should tell her what our dad told me to do with the eggs or not.

"Dad told me that I was supposed to take them away from here, away from any village, perhaps in the forest or the mountains. He told me to place them on a fire to try and hatch them, and if they hatched, to keep them alive until they were big enough to take care of themselves. Maybe even use then one day to regain our freedom." I explained with uncertainty in my voice.

Micha looked at me like I had ten heads.

"Jess, are you nuts? We can't just get up and leave everything we have and go live in the mountains, in the hopes that a bunch of ancient dragon eggs will hatch if you light them on fire." She said.

"What do we have? Both our parents just died, we live in a broken down beat up house with next to nothing, we live under the rule of a government that will kill you for looking at them wrong, why stay?" I said in a sarcastic questioning voice.

She stopped for a moment. I could see a tear dripping down her cheek. 

"Come with me Micha... There isn't anything for us here. there's nothing for anyone. But if we can hatch these eggs, we could change everything... for everyone. Dad said that they will bond with me, and do what I tell them if I protect them from birth.. I could use the company." I said.

Micha gave me a small grin, then came over and hugged me. We embraced each other for a good five minutes before we broke the silence and made our plans.

"Ok, what do we have to do then?" Micha asked. 

"Dad said we can carry the eggs for about two days without heating them before the chicks inside die. So lets get them back on the fire place for now. You keep those embers burning, I'll gather the things we will need. I'll be back in a few hours". I ordered.

"Jess wait, what if any soldiers come by?" Micha asked.

"I doubt any will. They have no need to. And if any do, do your best to hide the eggs." I said as I walked outside and shut the door behind me.

I walked around back to retrieve a few bows, Knives, an old sword we had, and as many arrows as I could carry. Then I started towards one of the stables to collect a few horses. There were to many to count so surely no one would miss three or four. I selected what I considered to be the best and tethered them together, then started back towards our house. Somehow, nobody questioned why I had four horses with me. I returned home to find Micha tending the embers, the case with hay still open on the bed.

"C'mon, we gotta pack as much clothing and utilities as we can... we don't know how long we'll be gone." I said.

Micha went into her room with a few burlap sacks, And came out several minutes later with the sacks full of clothes, footwear and a few other things she figured she would need. I had done the same already so all we had to do now was wait until night fall to head out to lessen the chance of being spotted.

That night, Micha and I went out back and started strapping the sacks of supplies to the horses, as well as several bags of food just in case we had a hard time hunting at first. I went back inside to retrieve the eggs, I put them in the case, shut it and came back outside with Micha. I mounted my horse, Micha mounted the one on the other side with the two carrying the supplies between us. I Buckled the case down with any strap that wasn't already holding something else, and with that, Micha and I cautiously set off toward the mountain range in distance.

I looked up at the stars.

"I won't let you guys down. I promise." I said quietly.