69

Amy stroked Veracon's jaw for several minutes, before braking her concentration and turning back towards Tahli and I.

"Now what?"She asked excitedly.

I said nothing for a moment.

"He was my sisters dragon. He's yours now. Do her proud." I said.

"I-I will. I promise." She said.

We both remained silent for a moment.

"You must learn to fly." I said as I walked towards her.

"What? Now?"

"Yes. Now. climb his wing to his back." I commanded.

I followed her up Veracon's wing, just in case she lost her footing. I stood behind her as she found a comfortable spot to mount.

"Hold onto these quills. If you must use a weapon while air born, secure your feet as to avoid falling off." I said.

I slide down Veracon's wing and hurried over to Doron. Tahli mounted Ragon and waited for instruction.

"Tell him to fly!" I shouted to Amy.

"Okay... Fly!" She shouted.

Veracon spread his wings and flapped until he got off the ground. The dragon got higher and higher, until I remembered that I was supposed to follow her up.

"Fly!" I commanded.

Doron took off towards Veracon, with Ragon and Tahli close behind. We ascended up to Veracon as he glided high above the forest. I could see Amy hunched down on Veracon's back.

"Sit up! Just don't let go and you'll be fine!" I shouted.

Amy made several attempts to site up on the dragons back. She had no issue doing so while on Doron behind me, but I guess riding a dragon solo had her scared from the start. We flew down to just above the tree tops, the flapping of the dragons wings causing leaves to fall from the trees. The flight felt much like the first flight years ago. It felt good, and bad to be back here, though I couldn't explain where the negative feelings had come from.

"We should be getting back, it will be night soon!" Tahli shouted from Ragon's back.

"Let's be on our way then!" I called back.

We turned and headed back for the volcano in the distance. We landed in the field and dismounted as the sun started to disappear behind the mountains.

"That was awesome! It's so different being up there alone." Amy said as she ran up to me.

"I thought you were going to fall off a couple of times. That wouldn't have been good for anyone". Tahli said as she placed her hand on Amy's shoulder.

"Come. Let's get settled in for the night." I said.

We built a fire from sticks and rocks, before lighting it ablaze with Doron's flame. We sat around the roaring fire saying mostly nothing as the stars and moon replaced the sun.

"We should be getting back tomorrow. We have been gone much to long. We serve no further purpose at the base of these mountains. I'd rather be off fighting, finishing what we started." I said.

"Agreed. Amy, you'll have to learn fast. Tomorrow we'll be heading back, and you will ride your own dragon there." Tahli said.

"How long will it take us to get there?" Amy asked.

"The same as it did to get here." I replied.

"Oh.. Right. My apologies." She said.

I chuckled as I warmed my hands around the fire.

"Once we get back, we will move back towards the center. But this time we must come up with a better plan. Last time didn't go so well with what we did." I said.

"D-Do you think the dragons will all survive?" Amy asked.

Tahli and I looked at each other.

"There's no way to know what will happen. All we can do is fight our best and hope our best is better than theirs." I said.

"We best be getting some rest so we can be off early. Sleep well, the both of you". Tahli said as she crawled under Ragon's wing.

"She's right. I'm exhausted, and I can tell you are too. Sleep well. Oh, and just crawl under his wing, he won't stop you." I said.