86

I was woken in the early house of the morning by screeching, and the smell of smoke, along with a bright light. I squinted as I opened my eyes due to the abnormal bright light. Then I realized that it was hot, very hot. When I realized that it was fire, I jumped up and looked up at the sky. It was still dark, with the stars still lighting up the sky. Up above, in the far distance, were all three dragons circling each other and letting out screeches. Just as I started to connect the dots, Amy, Tahli and Bailey came to my side.

"What are they doing?" Amy said as she rubbed her eyes.

"I'm not sure. I only just woke up." I replied.

We all fell silent for a moment.

"Where are the eggs?' Tahli asked.

We all looked around at each other, before we realized one by one that they had been swallowed by the fire.

"Are they-"

"Yes." I said cutting Tahli off.

We looked on in stunned amazement at the dragons as they spit fire down on the already large flame. The screeches were ear shattering, even though they were high above and out in front of us. Seconds later, Doron dove towards us.

"Get back, give them room to land." I said as I put out my arms and moved the others back.

Doron landed directly in front of us and lowered his head to just above the flames. Veracon and Ragon added more fire to the ever growing inferno. Doron raised his head as he made a series of clicking sounds to Ragon and Veracon, which they responded to with a deep moan.

"What should we do?' Bailey asked as she grasped my arm.

"Nothing. Just let them do it. They know what to do." I said.

Doron looked down at me through the flames. He seemed to understand that I knew what was going on. I could see in his eyes that he knew we both understood what came next. After several minutes, Veracon and Ragon stopped increasing the flames, and reared their heads up as they backed away from the flames. The smoke filling the otherwise clear sky above us blocked out the stars as it got higher and higher. Doron remained in the same spot until the flames started to dye down slowly. The heat was strong, and direct. I couldn't imagine what so many had suffered through as this same fire was cast down upon them. My face was hot and dripping with sweat, even as the flames grew smaller. As they got narrower, I could see the midnight black ground that had been burnt by the dragons flame. Finally, not long after I had awoke, The flame burnt itself out, revealing all seven eggs, still sitting in a circle.

"Wh-What happened?" Amy asked.

"I'm not sure." I said,

I slowly approached the eggs as Doron backed away from them. I reached out my arm to the purple egg, but when I touched it, I was struck with a severe pain from the heat. I fell back, pressing my hand up against my face in an effort to dull the pain.

"Are you alright?" Amy said as she ran up behind me and knelt down.

"Yeah. I'm alright." I replied. 

Then, as I was getting over the pain, I Doron let out a curious groan and lowered his head down to the circle. I looked down to see the blood red egg shake slightly.

"Holy shit." I exclaimed.

I knelt down in front of the egg, and waited. A crack formed from top to bottom, with several smaller cracks branching out from it. I turned around to see the others with wide eyes and large grins on their faces. I looked back down at the egg, to see a small piece of it crack, and fall off. I looked in the small whole, and I saw a deep black eye... Of a dragon.