57

I woke the next morning, my back stiff and sore from laying on the cold hard concrete all night, Amy still fast asleep across the room. I got to my feet slowly, rubbing my eyes, and looked around the room. 

"Hey wake up." I said to Amy as I shook her to wake her up.

She slowly opened her eyes, until she remembered where she was. She stood up, also rubbing her eyes.

"Sleep well?" I asked.

"I never sleep well." She replied.

"Yeah, neither do I." I said.

I looked around the room for my weapons. I picked my dagger up off the shelf, then put my bow around my neck with the arrows strapped to it.

"Come on. Let's get out of here." I said.

We started down the hallway towards the back of the school. We emerged just as the sun was starting to peak through the clouds over head. The air was cool and damp, the grass even more so. 

"Don't you need to grab anything?" I asked Amy.

"No, I own nothing. All I have is this knife." She said while she held out a small dagger with a rounded dull tip.

"Well, that won't do much to protect you. Here, take mine." I said while handing her my dagger.

"What about you?" She asked.

"I've got my sword and my bow. I'll be fine."  I said.

She shrugged her shoulder, reached out and took the dagger.

"Thanks."

"My pleasure." I said.

I hopped on my horses back after untying it from the tree.

"Come on, let's go." I said. 

I reached my hand out to help her up on the horses back.

"Hang on to my waist if you think you're going to fall off."

We started out of the village, again in the direction of the volcano. We rode for the entire day, through the forest, my eyes locked on the volcano the entire time in order to not loose track of where we were.

"I'm hungry, do we have any food?"  Amy asked.

"I can find you some." I said as I removed my bow and readied it to fire.

I slowed my horse, and scanned the forest floor. After several minutes, I saw a hawk perched in a tree out in front of us. I stopped, and cautiously drew my arrow and took aim. I loosed my arrow, and seconds later the hawk dropped out of the tree.

"Damn. You're a good shot." Amy said.

"Thanks. Let's go get your dinner." I said.

I rode up beside the down bird and dismounted the horse. The arrow had lodged itself in the birds chest. The hawk was screeching in pain and squirming around. I drew my sword, and stabbed the dying bird in the center of its chest, putting it down.

"Alright. Let's find a place to cook this up and get some rest." I said as I tied the hawk the the horses side and climbed on his back. We rode for a bit longer, before up ahead I could see several trees knocked over, creating somewhat of a clearing in the middle of the dense forest. We rode over the downed trees, out into the middle of the so called clearing and dismounted the horse.

"What the hell happened here?" Amy asked.

I looked around, puzzled, before it came to me.

"They've been here." I said.

"Who has?" Amy asked.

"The dragons. They're the only ones who could have toppled this many trees." I said.

We wandered around the mass of broken and uprooted trees for several minutes, collecting small branches and rocks to make a fire.

"Jessica! You should come look at this!" Amy called out fro several hundred feet away.

I hurried over to her. She was at the edge of the clearing, standing in front of a large, sharply pointed tree stump. My heart sank to the ground. The stump was covered in blood, dripping off to the ground, forming a small puddle.

"What happened here?" I asked my self as I examined the stump.

"Maybe one of them got hurt." Amy said.

"Or worse. I can't imagine why there's so much blood here. A wound that big could easily kill a dragon." I said.

I circled the stump.

"Oh my God." I said in a gasping voice.

"What?" Amy said frantically.

I reached down to pick up an object that was lying behind the stump. I picked it up and looked it over. It was the back half of a soldiers spear.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Mountain Dragon"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!