133

We stood facing each other for several moments, contemplating the realization that had just been bestowed upon us. Thoughts and memories of the horrors that tormented us all during my upbringing flooded my mind, bringing back sharp emotions. I wasn't sure whether to kill the group on the spot, or let them live and trust their words.

"How could there be more of them? All those years or misery and torture, all from what was in reality, the weakest of many armies? What could be done against those who drove them out in the first place?" I thought to myself.

I motioned slowly for my blade, considering putting down Lucy and the others, but something came over me telling me to stop, and to trust what they had previously told me.

"When will they be here? And why are you here, but not them?" I asked.

"Th-They couldn't find a place to go ashore. They're sailing along the coast until they find a place to step on your land. We only got here before them because we escaped one night while we were still far off shore in a small boat which we abandoned as soon as we made it to land, but we were followed ashore by soldiers who spotted us, but lost us as we dispersed into the forest just off the shoreline. You have very  limited time before your people suffer horrors greater than anything you could imagine. You must strike before it is to late. We are here, use us." Lucy said.

I narrowed my eyes and turned back to converse with Tahli and Amy.

"Well?" I said in a whisper.

"I say we take them with us. If they try anything, we have an army of dragons to protect us. We have very little to fear from them." Amy said while matching my whisper.

"I mean, it's certain that they aren't lying about an armada of ships just off our shores. I say we let them defend with us. The worst that could happen is that they turn on us, and we kill them." Tahli added.

I pondered for a moment, before looking up at Doron. He looked down at me and made eye contact. I looked into his eyes, and was able to see that he sensed no darkness in them, but rather the compassion and bravery that they were displaying. I gave Doron a brief grin before I turned back to Lucy.

"Alright. We'll give you a chance. How long do you think before they make for the shore?" I asked.

"That depends on when they find a place to make landfall. For all we know, they could be on land already." She replied.

I sighed as I contemplated my options, unsure of what to do. 

"Alright. We live in a valley off in that direction. We'll take you back to it to rejoin our last dragon rider. The four of us will take our dragons into battle with the armada you speak off, and you will fight with us. Do you accept?" I asked firmly.

Lucy turned back to the rest of her group and put up her arms, silently asking if they all accept my terms. The nodded furiously before Lucy turned back to me.

"Okay. We'll do what ever you want us too, just please don't let them take over this land, and please don't let them take us back." She replied.

I nodded and turned back towards Doron and started towards him.

"You all ride with me, you remove all weapons from yourselves and surrender them to Tahli. She will keep hold of them with her dragon Ragon until we arrive back at the valley. I said as I stopped in front of Doron and turned back towards the group.

Without question, they hurriedly handed all their weapons over to Tahli before scrambling over to me and awaited instructions. She strapped all the weapons to Ragon's neck, then turned back to me and gave me a firm nod.

"Right. Climb up to his back and take hold of the quills that line it. Let go, and fall to your death, or don't, and maybe live. Your choice." I said as I motioned for them to mount him.

One by one, they climbed Doron's back with a struggle, before slowly coming to rest. I swiftly made my way up and settled in my spot before looking over at Tahli, then Amy. Both gave me the thumbs up, before taking off ahead of us.

"Fly."

Doron silently spread his wings and leaped into the air, following Ragon and Veracon closely. 

"Doron, I hope your instincts were right." I thought to myself.