84

Jonah gave me a puzzled look as the few survivors of our army retreated in the hopes of surviving with their families. I took Jonah's arm and began helping him climb Doron's wing. I looked over my shoulder to observe the endless sea of dead bodies, with the occasional moan from fatally wounded men.

"What are we supposed to do now? We just lost what little warriors we had left." Jonah exclaimed.

"We lost far to many in this fight. The few who survived simply couldn't put up a fight against the king." I said as I came to my spot on Doron's back.

"So... We have lost. It's all over." Jonah said

I chuckled slightly.

"That is were you are mistaken." I said.

I turned back to face forward.

"Fly."

Doron took to the air on command, and ascended up to the tops of the mountains. I looked down at the battle field once again. The sight of so many dead men made my stomach turn. I had spent years with these men, and they had sworn their lives to fight for me. Seeing most of them dead, and the few remaining retreating to stay with their families, made me realize how flawed my thinking was, and how false a sense of hope I had given to those who fought and died. 

We flew over top of the volcano and looked down to see Veracon and Ragon peering up at us. 

"Down."

Doron dove down and circled around over head as he descended until he was able to land between Veracon and Ragon. I dismounted, along with Jonah, and was greeted by Bailey and Tahli.

"Welcome back." Tahli said.

"Where's Bailey?" I asked.

Tahli stepped to the side to reveal Bailey sitting in the semi tall grass with the seven dragon eggs in front of her, with Ragon hovering over her. I walked over to her as she starred at the eggs.

"Come, we must give the dragons space." I said.

Bailey stood up and started over to me.

"Aren't we going to hatch them?" Bailey asked.

"That isn't up to us. It's up to the three of them." Tahli cut in.

"We can't force them. If they think it's meant to be, that's their choice." I said.

Bailey sighed, before briefly looking back at the eggs, then turning and walking away. 

"What do we do now? Most of our army is dead, and the rest have left us." Amy asked.

"There's no point in keeping the few survivors around. Odds are we will be hunted down if we stay here, and our survivors would have suffered the same fate, so I sent them off. They couldn't aid us in bringing the king down. We have slaughtered a large part of the kings army, so he likely won't risk sending to many of his soldiers away. The only danger is a small group of elites sent to slay our dragons. If we loose them, we have absolutely no chance. They are truly our only hope now." I said.

There was a heavy silence for at least a minute, the only sound was the of the breeze. The smell of blood combined with smoke and fire turned my stomach. Just before I thought I was going to throw up, Tahli spoke up.

"So, where do we go?" Amy asked.

I looked over my shoulder to the mountains in the distance.

"We go deep into the forest. We go somewhere that would be over looked by the men sent after us. We do as much damage as we can, whenever we can." I said.

"When?" Bailey asked as she walked up behind me.

"We go now. There's nothing more we can do to assist our survivors. They will for the most part manage to return to their homes. We must go. Gather as much as you can." I ordered.

I picked up an empty sack and walked over to the eggs.

"I'm going to keep them with me. Just in case." I said.

I began carefully placing the seven eggs in the bag, one by one, before tying it up and putting it over my shoulder. I picked up my bow, along with the arrows I collected from the battlefield, and rejoined Bailey.

"Don't need anything?" I asked.

She shook her head silently, as Doron stretched his wing out behind us. Tahli and Amy returned with spears, swords and their bows with the arrows, along with a few pieces of clothing.

"Ready?"I asked.

"Ready." Tahli said as Amy nodded her head.

"Right. Let's go." I said.

I turned and helped Bailey up Doron's wing to mount. Amy and Tahli both mounted their dragons and waited for Doron to take off. I tied the sack with the eggs around one of Doron's quills, and wrapped Bailey in one of my arms as I grasped another quill with the other.

"Fly."

The three dragons took the the skies within seconds of each other. As we ascended up to the mountain tops, I looked back at the volcano. All this time, there had been eggs there, yet none of us knew. Now, the eggs might have been our only hope.