156

I could feel tears dripping down my face as Doron circled around over the crippled Magar. I contemplated abandoning the fight to help them, but felt obligated to aid the others in the hopeless attack. 

"No. Forget about it. We have a job to do."

Doron seemed agitated with me, but for some reason, obeyed me and turned back to join the others in the fight. As we rejoined the fray, I looked over the battlefield to observe the carnage. Thousands of men laying dead on the beach, with the dead body of Durio laying upside down in the sand, and the smallest dragon of the group, Legon, crying out seconds before he crashed into one of the nearest ships just moments after being hit with canon fire. I looked to the ground and saw that most of our men had been slaughtered, and the few who survived had turned back and started a desperate retreat towards the hills in an effort to escape. I decided that before anyone else died needlessly, that I would take the rest of us home.

"Call them all back! We've got to get out of here!" I shouted.

Doron called out to the others before turning back towards the hill. As he flew over the hills peak, I looked down to see Temano taking off, with Jules holding Bailey in her arms. Doron flew over Magar, snagging her in his claws, and making his escape with the remaining dragons, and the few surviving members of the army we had amassed. We didn't bother to land and tell the survivors to return home however. I just assumed they would understand that they were to retreat and hope for their lives. I looked back at the hill to see smoke rising from the burning ships and bodies on the beach, and couldn't hold back the tears from streaming down my numb cheeks.

"Okay. That's enough. Take us home." I said through my shaky voice.

Magar moaned in pain as Doron struggled to fly with the added weight, but he still managed. I could feel the bond between the two of them giving him the strength he needed to stay airborne, and would hopefully do so until we found a place to settle. My hands and legs were shaking violently, and my heart was beating so fast I was certain that it would burst out from my chest, which I wouldn't have complained about if it were to happen.

Several Hours Later

We had put a large amount of space between us and the beach, and I was fairly certain that they wouldn't bother to follow us. With no way to bring down the dragons with out their ships, they must have understood the suicidal task at hand should they decide to follow. I decided to set down for the night, and to finally allow me and Bailey to reunite.

"Down!"

Doron glided towards the ground, lightly setting Magar down before landing beside her. As I dismounted, Doron prodded Magar with his snout in an attempt to help her fly, but to no avail. For a moment, I was fixed on the two of them, before Temano flew past me and set down off to the side, with Veracon and Ragon landing behind her. I waisted no time sprinting to help Jules bring Bailey to the ground as she clumsily found her way down Temano's wing. Tahli and Amy came to my aid, carefully placing Bailey in the soft grass as Lucy and Micheal helped Jules stay on her feet. I shoved everyone aside and placed my hand on Bailey's cheek, patting it lightly in the hopes that it would get a response. Tears filled my eyes, partially blurring my vision, as my tongue was greeted with their salty taste. Tahli placed her hand on my shoulder as I set Bailey back down on the ground and put my ear to her chest, hoping to hear her breathing. After a moment, I sat back in the grass, and felt every ounce of optimism leaving my body in one, single pass.

"Bailey?"