186

The four of us crouched down to avoid being spotted as Magar narrowed her sights to the lone survivor of the four young dragons. The red and white coloured dragon chirped and flapped her wings excitedly as Magar licked the young dragon, before turning her attention to the blue and gold dragon that was fatally injured in the fight. The two of them nudged the carcass with their snouts, but unfortunately, the young dragon had died from his wounds. Magar moaned as she glanced around in search of something, before the last of the four smaller dragons chirped for her attention. She turned back to her, and was clearly broken down by the realisation that the other three had died.

"They're her children..." Amy whispered.

"And that one is the last." Tahli added.

"I've got to go to her." Bailey said before she stood up.

"No! Are you insane?! They've become hostile towards us. You don't stand a chance." I said as I pulled her back to the ground.

"So you can go after you dragon but I can't go after mine?" She asked defiantly.

The two of us silently stared at each other for a moment, before she tossed her bow to the ground and made her way down the sand dune.

"Come on. Let's go." I said to Amy and Tahli.

We slowly crept down the sand dune as Bailey approached the two dragons while they embraced in each others company. Magar was facing away from us, so she didn't see us as we approached her and her last living offspring.

"She's enormous..." Amy said quietly.

"She's skinny as well. She hasn't been eating very well." I added.

Bailey then started calling out to the dragon as loud as she could, cupping her hands around her mouth. The three of us froze at the sound of Bailey's voice calling Magar's name.

"Magar! Magar!"

Magar slowly turned her head towards Bailey, before letting out a roar that nearly knocked the four of us to the ground. Magar's baby huddled behind her mother's giant wing as Magar snarled and hissed as she approached Bailey. Bailey froze in place before collapsing to the sandy ground out of fear, before looking away and reaching out her hand, which was shaking uncontrollably. The three of us broke into a run to get to her, before Magar spotted us and snapped her jaws before hissing loudly.

"Stop! It's just a threat display! If she intended to kill us, she'd have done it already!" Bailey screamed before looking back up at Magar.

The dragon sniffed several times, eyeing Bailey up and down as she snarled and showed her teeth, all the while her last surviving child cowered behind her, only briefly showing herself trying to get a look at us.

"Magar.... I-I know it's been a while, but I know you remember me. You would never hurt me. You... You know me." Bailey said softly.

Magar seemed to understand her, pulling her head back and turning from aggressive to intrigued. She nudged Bailey with her massive snout before purring at the now familiar sight of Bailey sitting on the ground in front of her. Bailey stood up and placed her hand over her mouth as tears started flowing down her face as she ran forward, and hugging Magar's snout as tightly as she could as the three of us walked up to join her. Magar seemed hesitant to allow us near at first as she pulled her head back, but she seemed to recognise only a moment later.

"It's nice to see you again." I said with a smile growing across my face.

Magar made eye contact with me, before turning around and lifting her wing, to reveal her last surviving baby hiding under it. She exclaimed to her, prompting her to come forward. 

"Come on, it's okay. We won't hurt you." I said softly.

The young dragon wasn't much bigger than a dear, indicating that she was extremely young, likely born just before or during the death sweep that killed off most of the dragons. She seemed reluctant to come towards us at first, at one point backing up and attempting to flee. But, with the persuasion of her mother, she eventually came forward and investigated us curiously. She circled around us several times with her head held low, like a wolf stalking an animal it's never come across before. After a moment, she seemed to become more relaxed, as she raised her head up and rejoined her mother. The four of us looked up at Magar and stood silently for a moment.

"Magar, will you help us?" Bailey asked softly.

Magar groaned, before turning to the side and stretching her wing out in front of us.

"You'll need this." Amy said as she handed Bailey her bow.

The four of us exchanged a glance for a brief moment, before one by one, we climbed up Magar's wing and found a spot on her back. Bailey confidently took her place in front at the base of the dragons neck. She looked back at me for a moment and smiled, before looking over Magar's side.

"Fly."

Magar chirped at her baby as she took off, heading towards the clouds in the direction of the northern mountains. It felt surreal to be on the back of a dragon once again, but there was still a gap in my heart that could only be filled by one thing, and one thing only.

"Magar... We need to find Doron." I said.