8

We rode slowly, trying to keep the noise down until we reached the edge of the village, then we set off at full gallop through the open grass fields towards the cover of the trees. The sky was clear, the moon was full, and the stars looked like a million dragons breathing fire down on us from above. 

After riding for a while, we finally reached the edge of the forest, and stopped at its edge.

"Are we going in?" Micha asked.

"We certainly can't stay out in the open. We might get spotted which wouldn't be good for anyone." I said.

"Lets go then." Micha said as she finished yawning.

We started into the forest. I pulled one of the bows from around my neck and readied an arrow just in case. it was dark, cold, and very, quiet. It was very Un-settling. Micha was looking in a different direction every time I looked over to check up on her. I could tell she was nervous, and I can't say I blame her. Riding through the forest in the middle of the night in the dark was terrifying.

"Keep your eyes open for somewhere to take shelter. Maybe a cave or something. Anywhere we can be sheltered from predators." I said,

"I doubt we will find that down here in the trees. Dad said he found the eggs in a cave near the volcano, Lets go look a cave in the same area." Micha said.

We rode out towards the mountains In search of a suitable cave. We searched the perimeter of one of the mountains, until we spotted a cave in the side. Not very large, Maybe ten feet tall and roughly thirty or so feet deep. It had a few ledges sticking out from the side, perfect for us to sleep on. Crucially, The cave was also perched on a ten or so foot wide ledge of rock several feet off the ground, which meant it would be difficult for predators to get to us without making any noise. We entered the cave just as the sun started to rise up above the trees in the distance. We unpacked everything that was on the horses, and placed the case with the eggs  along with all the supplies on one of the elevated ledges in the cave. I tied up three of the horses and mounted the fourth with Micha on behind me and we rode into the forest with an axe to collect fire wood and stones to make a fire for the eggs. We collected as much as we could carry, before turning back towards the cave. As we got closer, we heard the horses whining. I knew something was wrong.

When we came through the trees we saw one of the horses lying dead in a pool of blood, and the other two trying to fend off a pack of five wolves attacking them from all sides.

"Micha stay on this horse!" I yelled as I jumped off an started firing arrows at the wolves.

I hit on of the wolves In the head, killing it instantly, and hit another in the chest taking it down.

One of the others tore the throat out of one of the other horses before making a run at the horse Micha was on.

The wolf took the horse down by the head as Micha and all the fire wood and stones. 

"Micha run to me!" I screamed. 

Micha ran to me and hid behind me, quivering in fear. The other two wolves had slaughtered the last horse while I was trying to save Micha. Thankfully, they hadn't gotten to any of our food supplies as they were occupied with the horses. I rushed into the cave to check on the eggs. They were all fine. Thank God.

I took the two wolves i'd killed into the cave and began to strip them down and clean them, While Micha built a fire. 

"First we cook some food, then we get those eggs on the fire before the chicks inside die"

After some time,The meat was finally cooked, and it was time to place the eggs in the fire.

"Micha.. hand me the case." I said timidly.

Micha brought the case over and set it on the ground gently, I opened it, revealing the three eggs still wrapped up in the hay that filled the case.

I put the black egg in the center of the flame, the green egg on its right, and the cream egg on its left. As we sat and ate the wolf meat, we stared at the eggs for what felt like years.

"Are they going to hatch?" Micha asked.

I remained silent for a moment.

"I don't know... But I sure as hell hope so." I said.