12

3 Weeks Later

      We woke up one morning, It was raining, cold, wet, and miserable. Looked like it would be another day Hunting in the rain in the rain. It rained yesterday as well, but today I could see the sun in the distance, so we decided to wait for a bit and see if the rain would stop, and sure enough, It did. I grabbed my bow, as well as a spear I had carved out of a mostly straight branch.

The dragons were once again perched on my shoulders and shirt, as we walked through the mud and grass on the forest floor. We searched for a while, with no luck. The dragons didn't seem to pick anything up for the first little while either, which was unusual. Then they all looked up as a a group of sparrows flew over head. They started to whine and tried to take off by flapping their wings.

"They want to fly I think." Micha said.

They flapped their wings hard, but couldn't get off the ground. Veracon had the bright idea to climb a tree, spread his wings, then leaped off the branch and was able to glide. 

"Look look! He's flying!" Micha exclaimed.

"Flap your wings Veracon!" I called to him while cupping my hand around my mouth.

Veracon flapped his wings, and climbed higher and higher up.

"Get up there you two!" I said as I motioned them towards the tree. They climbed up and jumped from the branch, spreading their wings and began flapping, getting higher with each flap until they joined Veracon above the the tree tops.

"Come on we gotta follow them!" I said as I motioned Micha to follow.  

By the time we caught up with them they had managed to cling onto a vulture, and were wrestling with it to bring it down. By this point they were about three quarters of the size of the vulture, but the three of them were to much, and the bird fell to the ground, crashing into a tree as the dragons let it go. the vulture crashed to the ground, I heard its neck snap, But before I got to it the dragons had already torn into it.

"Couldn't wait till we got back eh guy?" I said to them as I knelt down beside Ragon.

Micha and I went and sat on a log as we waited for the to finish eating, which of course didn't take long. We picked up our gear and started back towards the cave. We had some left over squirrels from the night before which would have to do. It looked like the rain was coming back, and we certainly didn't want to get caught out in it. Especially not at night in the forest. We returned to the cave, Doron started a fire for us and we cooked the remaining squirrels over it. As we ate, I noticed the dragons sitting by the cave mouth, looking out at the storm as a bolt of lighting pierced the sky.

"Hopefully that doesn't start a fire." Micha said.

"If it does, I could certainly use the rest." I said.