181

We walked in the direction Wade had pointed us for several hours, until around mid day, when we came across a small pond. I was unsure of how long it would take us to reach the coast, so I figured it would be crucial for us to take in as much water as possible at every chance we got.

"Drink. All of you. Now." I ordered.

The four of us bent down and started shovelling water into our mouths, fighting the urge to spit it out due to the dirt running through it. I drank until I felt my stomach seemingly spill into my throat, confirming I could take in no more. The others did the same after they had finished, but for some reason, none of us seemed eager to continue walking.

"Is everything all right?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's just... We don't even know how far north he is. And we don't know how many others we'll run into that may try to kill us. Remember the female that killed another dragon in seconds? We're still in her territory." Amy said.

"Well then it's best we get out of it. Let's keep moving." Tahli said as she started walking.

Amy and I followed, with Bailey waiting a moment before running to catch up. 

"Jess, I'm curious, why didn't any dragons attack us when we lived at the lake?" She asked.

"Well, considering that we didn't see any signs of dragons until we'd traveled into the mountains further for four days, I think it's safe to say that there weren't any near us." I replied.

"Yeah, that makes sense. Probably to scared to get that close to the edge of the mountain range." Bailey replied.

"Yeah, or they just all died." Amy added.

I sighed at the thought of yet another seemingly endless journey, regardless of its importance. The air was thick, but cooled by the thick tree cover that towered over us, protecting us from the suns merciless light. We walked until the sun started to dip down towards the horizon, indicating it was time we found a place to rest for the night.

"This spot looks just as good as any. Let's get a fire going. I'll take first shift." I said as I set my bow up against a tree and began to gather twigs and dead leaves. 

The four of us worked efficiently, getting a fire started in only a few minutes, constantly watching the trees for predators.

"We've got a lot of walking to do, you guys get some sleep. I'll wake you if need be." I said.

Later that night

The crackling of the flames, along with the repetitive curls and sways of the flames was mesmerizing, keeping my gaze fixed on it rather than the darkness surrounding the trees. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"My Gosh! Bailey what the hell are you doing awake?" I asked as I stood up and turned towards her.

"I don't know. I just woke up for some reason." 

I grinned, before putting my arm around her shoulder.

"Come. Sit with me then." I said.

She smiled before sitting down just as I sat down. She rested her head up against my shoulder and wrapping her arms around mine.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. I'm just worried about everything. I feel like everyone is going to die." 

I sighed at her response before tightening my grip around her in an effort to comfort her.

"Bailey, we found you when you were a little kid. Look at what you've grown into? I bet you're the youngest person in history to ever befriend a dragon." I said.

I expected this to cheer her up, but instead, she put her hand over her mouth and started crying almost immediately, waking Amy and Tahli.

"Bailey? Bailey?!" Amy shouted as she jumped to her feet, with Tahli scrambling to grab her bow and draw an arrow.

"Relax! Both of you! She's just a little upset." I said.

They both knelt down in front of us, silently hovering over Bailey as she tried to catch her breath.

"Bailey, don't worry. No matter what happens, the three of us will always protect you." Amy said.

She sniffled, before looking up at her, her eyes blood red with tears dripping down her face uncontrollably.

"A-And what about Magar?" She asked through her shaky voice.

Amy's eyes widened, before she turned to me silently asking for direction. I looked down at Bailey and turned her head towards me with my hand.

"Her too. I promise with my life, that we will protect her too." I said before kissing her on the top of her head.