61

Amy turned around sharply when I spoke and looked up.

"Doron! Doron!" I screamed as he flew around over head.

Doron's eyes light up brighter than those of the wolves as he circled over us. I could tell he was looking right down at me. His roars shook the forest, the draft from each flap of his wings knocked both of us over. Doron let loose with a stream of fire raining down on most of the remaining wolves, before vanishing behind the smoke. As Doron flew towards the trees, I looked over at Amy. Her eyes were wider than i'd ever seen eyes look.

"He's huge!" She said in a fascinated tone of voice.

Thinking all the wolves had been either killed or scared off, she ran around the flames towering above the trees to see Doron toppling trees as he landed and folded his giant wings to his sides.

"Amy! Watch out!" I screamed as a wolf tackled her to the ground.

I ran to save her, before Doron hissed at the wolf, scaring it off. For a moment, the only sounds I heard were those of the flames crackling behind me, and the thumping of the ground as Doron approached Amy, who was unconscious.  

"Amy? Amy?!" I said frantically as I shook her in an attempt to wake her.

"Okay okay okay, just relax. She'll be fine." I said to myself.

I was exhausted for whatever reason, and before I could think of anything else, I collapsed to the ground, and was asleep seconds later. Perhaps I was tired from stress, or maybe it was a combination of shock and relief. That was probably the best sleep I had in years.

The Next Morning

I woke the next morning to the smell of smoke filling my nose. I sat up and looked around. Pools of blood all around from where the wolves I had shot fell, a few of them still their, the rest in Doron's stomach. Doron's head was only feet away from me when I sat up, his tail resting on top of several trees that it had knocked over. The clearing was barely big enough for Doron to land in it. 

"Oh my God! I've been so worried about you!" I said through the tears that were welling up in my eyes.

I hugged Doron's jaw for several minutes, sobbing into his cold hard scales as if he were a puppy. 

"Where's Ragon?" I asked to him.

He just dropped his head back down, as if to suggest displeasure or grief. Dragons are intelligent creatures, and it appeared to me that Doron thought Ragon had been killed. Then I remembered Amy. I hurried over to her as she slept.

"Amy! Amy!" I said as I picked her up.

Her eyes slowly started to open as she moaned in pain and put her hand on her head.

"What the hell happened?" She said as I let her stand on her own.

"A wolf knocked you out, to keep it simple." I said.

"And you killed it?"

"No, he did."

I motioned for her to turn around, to see Doron only feet away. I gestured for her to approach.

"He won't hurt you." I said.

She reached her hand out, I could see fear mixed with delight in her eyes as Doron pressed his nose up against her hand. She lowered her hand and turned to look at me.

"Holy shit! A living dragon! He's beautiful! He's huge!" She yelled.

"He's a big baby as well." I replied.

I saw Amy's face change.

"What about the spear we found back at the crash site?"

My eyes went wide, before I ran past Doron's head to look him over. I searched up both sides of his body, before I saw dried up blood dripping down the back of his left leg. I examined the wound, and saw the other half of the spear lodged in his leg. I pulled it loose and tossed it to the side.

"They must have been attacked by a military scout or something." Amy said.

"A scout wouldn't attack a dragon, even one as big as him. If anything, they attacked the scouts. The blood on the stumped looks like it came from Doron trying to knock the spear loose." I said.

"Didn't you say there were three?" Amy asked.

I sighed, before turning to her to answer her question.

"As I told you, Veracon was injured when my sister was killed, and we had to leave him behind. Ragon probably died when fighting what ever scout group they attacked." I said.

"He couldn't just be off flying around somewhere?" Amy asked as I started to collect my weapons.

"They wouldn't leave each others side with out reason, and I can think of no reason. Now collect what ever you wish. We have our dragon, now we need to get back to the waiting army." I said as I put my bow around my neck.

I climbed atop Doron and motioned for Amy to do the same. She stumbled as she climbed his massive wing, before finally joining me on his back.

"Hang on to his quills, otherwise you'll fall off." I said.

I looked over Doron's side to see him looking back at me.

"Fly."

Doron spread his wings, which stretched out over the trees lining the clearing, and flapped them repeatedly until he was air born.

"Where on earth have you been?" I asked him.