15

We arrived back at the cave to find Doron finishing off the carcass of the soldier he brought back. Veracon and Ragon got their fill with the two soldiers I killed before I let them have some fun with fire.

"Hey bud, how ya feeling?" I asked to Doron like a mother to her child.

He pressed his head up against my chest, I wrapped my arm around his head and gently rubbed his neck. He tried to spread his wings but didn't have enough space due to the faster than expected growth of the three dragons.

Doron climbed up atop the overhang of the cave and joined Ragon and Veracon for the night. I was starting to rain, yet the three dragons didn't seem to care much about the weather. I went out to check on them in the middle of the night, Veracon and Ragon were fast asleep, but Doron was still wide awake, looking out over the forest. When he noticed me, he raised his wing up just enough for me to take shelter from the rain. Veracon and Ragon woke up moments later and shuffled closer to me, then put their heads down and fell back asleep. 

"There's a lot you guys don't know about yourselves.... you don't know how much our species have intertwined in the past.. you don't know how important the three of you are". I said to Doron as I looked towards the forest.

When I looked over, expecting to see Doron looking out over the forest again, I was surprised to see him looking over at me instead. We locked our gazes briefly, before he turned his head and lowered it to the rocks and shut his eyes. As he dropped his head I saw Veracon Peaking up over Dorons neck looking at me, I turned around and Ragon was looking at me too.

"Back to sleep you two. It's late." I said. 

Surprisingly, they both obliged and lowered their heads.

The next morning, I woke up to Micha sitting on the edge of the wet rock with Doron still looking out at the trees, Veracon was awake but still resting his head, Ragon was still fast asleep. 

"Morning Micha." I said as I forced myself to my feet from under Dorons wing.

"Morning Jess. Slept well it looks like?" She said as she stood up.

"Haha ya, this big guy kept me dry all night." I said while looking at Doron. 

We climbed down to the cave mouth to start thinking about what to do for the day.

"Well? What should we do?" Micha asked.

"I honestly don't know. The dragons still aren't large enough to ride. Which I have to do if they will fight."  I said.

"Why must you ride them?" Micha asked.

"Once they grow to be one-hundred feet long and are able to take out large armies, they will need me up there to guide them." I said.

I was starting to have second thoughts about using the dragons to fight. I had always imagined dragons as giant, heartless, soulless monsters designed to kill anything and everything, not gentle creatures that will protect those they care about with their lives. If I take them into battle and one gets hurt or killed, I don't know how Micha or I would react. I didn't expect to bond with them the way I have.

"Go fly for a bit, see if you can." I said to Doron.

He snarled, spread his wings and dove off the overhang, Veracon followed, and they just circled around over the forest a few hundred feet away. 

"Ragon stop being lazy and go exercise." I said.

He obliged and went up to join his siblings circling around out in front of us.

"Ya know Jess... one day they will be big enough, and you will have to decide what to do." Said Micha.

"Ya... I know. That's what worries me." I said.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!