62

Having Doron back felt surreal. I hadn't felt the air whip through my hair in what felt like forever. I turned around to see Amy attempting to look over Doron's side at the ground below.

"Bet you never thought you'd be riding on the back of a dragon." I said.

"Yeah, you got that right." She replied.

I looked over the forest as we glided above, the trees looked like twigs from that high up. The air was warm and fast passing through my hair and between my finger tips.

"How far away is this army from here?" Amy asked.

"We'll be there by night fall tomorrow. It took a lot longer to get out here, but Doron is rather fast compared to a horse." I said. 

We flew until the sun started to lower yet again. The pink and orange sky was spectacular to see from that high up. I started looking for a place for Doron to land, but for a while, I saw nothing. Before I could figure out a solution, Doron decided not to wait any longer, and landed, taking down quite a few trees in the process. He panned his massive tail across the forest floor to clear space for him to sleep before allowing us to dismount. We climbed down Doron's wing as Amy stumbled, falling to the ground. 

"Where do we sleep?" Amy asked.

I turned to Doron and gave him a nod, as he raised his wing up for us to take shelter under.

"Under here." I said.

Amy shrugged her shoulders and followed me. Later that night as Amy and I lay there on the ground, talking about our childhood's or dreams we had, it began to rain. The sound of the rain colliding with Doron's wing was much more soothing than I thought it would be or remember it being. The sound of the rain put Amy to sleep rather quick, but it took me a little longer. But, after a few hours, well into the night, I managed to finally fall asleep.

"It's good to have you back." I said while brushing my hand on Doron's wing.

The Next Morning

I woke to the sight of sunlight shining through the thin skin covering Doron's wing. I crawled out from under neath his wing, expecting to see Doron still sleeping. As I walked up to his eye, it snapped open and looked down at me.

"Morning you." I said while rubbing his head.

He raised his wing and looked back. Amy was still fast asleep on the cold hard ground. I walked over to her and flicked her on the top of her head.

"Sleep well?" I said as I helped her up.

"Always." She replied.

"Good. We've got to get moving. If we leave now we'll be there by sundown." I said.

I collected my weapons and climbed atop Doron once again, with Amy right behind.

"Fly."

Doron spread his wings over the trees he had knocked over the night before, and leaped into the air. The sky was still cloudy from the rainy night we had, the breeze was far chillier than the day before. We flew for several hours without saying much of anything to each other, taking in the view from up above the forest. It was one I had seen many times before, yet it still blew me away every time.

"How big is this army?" Amy asked.

"Millions strong. Made up of every capable and willing man from every village across the empire. And I've yet to hear of a man who wasn't willing to fight and die for his family." I said.

"Didn't you say you were defeated in the battle?" She asked.

"We retreated when my sister was hit, along with her dragon. As bad as it sounds, the thousands who died fighting that day didn't have much impact." I said.

She hesitated for a moment.

"How the dragon die?" She asked.

I looked over my shoulder, a little surprised that she asked that.

"He was distracted by Micha after she got hit, then he got hit in the shoulder by a long range arrow. He couldn't fly, and we had to leave him behind in order to get far enough away to avoid ambush." I said bluntly.

We flew until I saw the sun start to go down. 

"There they are. See all the little fires scattered through out the trees? Those are out men." I said as I pointed.

"Man, you weren't kidding. I never realized millions of people could look so big."  She said.

I smirked.

"When we land, there's someone i'd like you to meet." I said.