35

The three of us flew in ahead of the men on horseback. Doron gave yet another intimidating roar as he approached. I stuck my head up to see what was ahead, soldiers scrambling to get weapons as we approached. Doron spat fire over them as they tried to escape, to no avail. Ragon and Tahli split off to my right while Micha came in close behind me on Veracon and lay another stream of flame down on the remaining soldiers. We burnt their quarters to the ground, and landed atop the destroyed building as the few soldiers that remained charged at us, throwing spears and firing arrows. Veracon and Doron shielded Micha and I as we dismounted, just as Ragon flew in and killed the remaining as he landed in front of Doron. The warriors flooded the village, chanting wildly as the swarmed the three dragons and cheered in support. The Villages people came out when they realized it was safe.

I motioned for the warriors to move aside so I could pass through them. I stepped up to the terrified but somewhat trusting group of people and gave them the same speech I gave the first group back in my home village. As I gained their trust, they started to cheer along with the warriors to my back, the dragons roaring as my voice empowered the traumatized people of the village. The gathered weapons, horses and food, then they joined the first group, effectively doubling the groups size. The three of us mounted our dragons and took to the air with the group of several thousand men rode along with us below.

"It's gonna work! It's really gonna work!" Micha called to me from Veracons back.

"Damn right it is!" I replied.

We were headed to the third village in the area, but as we flew, I noticed something appear on the horizon. As we got closer, I realized that It was a shield wall of soldiers.

"What?!" Tahli screamed.

"Son of a bitch! One of the soldiers must have escaped and rallied other battalions!" I replied.

I dropped down to just above the ground.

"Prepare for combat! Draw your swords, ready your bows! And most of all, ready your hearts! Attack!" I commanded as I held my spear up above my head.

I pulled out in front of the army of villagers below me and commanded Doron to open fire. He strafed with military group with fire, followed closely by Veracon and Ragon. The warriors collided with the shield wall. The fighting lasted for nearly an hour as warriors fought gallantly against the kings soldiers. We couldn't just burn the shield wall because we would end up burning our own men. Never the less, we eliminated most of the horse transport as well as the majority of the men behind the front line, until the few soldiers that were left were surrounded by our men, and slaughtered. Doron landed, I dismounted and began surveying the battle scene. Thousands of soldiers, burnt to a crisp behind the lines. On what was the front line, Several hundred solders lay dead, blood painting the otherwise light green and brown ground a dark shade of red. Several of our own men had also perished in the fighting. There were arms, legs, internal organs, and an oceans worth of blood scattered across the ground.

"Do not be fazed! This is the cost of war. Our dead will not go un-avenged. These forces were likely drawn from the nearby villages! We will take them all un-apposed!" I yelled out as Doron came to my side for me to mount. We took off in the direction of the nearest village, and took the next several villages without any opposition. Our army was growing. And it was growing fast.. I just hoped it would be fast enough.