143

For a moment, the sky was silent. The wind cooled my skin as it brushed across it, though it made no sound that I could detect. Finally, the unmistakable sound of dragon wings flapping broke the eery silence as Ragon flew over Doron, before dropping down below him to join Veracon. I looked around, searching for any sign of other dragons, but saw nothing. Ragon and Veracon ascended back towards us, with Tahli and Amy scanning the sky below, just the same as I had done. Then, just as I was considering turning back, I heard a faint, high pitched screech coming from far below. I looked down to see Temano and Ionia, with Jules and Lucy on their backs, holding on for their lives.

"Well I'll be damned." I said to myself.

The two dragons flew wing tip to wing tip as they passed us by, their new riders gripping their quills with every ounce of strength they had in them. Close behind Temano and Ionia, the others slowly climbed towards us from the valley below, growing from what looked like tiny insects, to fabulous animals, stronger than all else that the world could seemingly throw at them. As they rose to meet us, I observed Ryder clinging to his dragons back with his held down against it, while Micheal was trying to sit up on his, thought struggling the entire time. I wasn't sure why, but right from the moment I met Lucy, Jules and the others, I felt as though they needed to put their lives in danger in order to prove their loyalty to us, as opposed to the supposed force many times stronger than the one we previously faced, and now they had done so.

"Follow us!" I shouted over my shoulder while waving my hand to get everyones attention.

Doron started up towards the clouds with a powerful flap of his wings that shot him up, away from the rest of the group. Doron breached the cloud layer above, and for a moment, we were alone. Alone to observe the stunning horizon lit up by the sun and surrounded by clouds that made up its underlining border. Then, Veracon and Ragon emerged from the clouds one after the other, and wasted no time coming to meet Doron as he glided silently through the clear sky. I looked over to Tahli and motioned to the clouds below with my head, referring to where the others had gone. Tahli shrugged her shoulders a Meer second before the others came through the clouds, making ridiculous noise as they joined us. 

"Okay, let's see if they can keep up." I said to myself.

Doron suddenly turned to the left and started flying in the opposite direction of the others. I turned back to see Ragon and Veracon gliding over head, with the others closing in behind us. As Jules, Lucy and their dragons flew up beside me, the two of them made eye contact with me. I could see the determination in their eyes, and it was then that I knew that I'd made the right decision. 

"Come on!" I shouted, though they likely couldn't hear me due to the distance between us.

Doron flipped over and dropped down towards the clouds before slipping right through them, and levelling out just below. I looked back to see the other dragons giving chase to us, with Jules actually managing to sit right up on Temano's back as she flew past me. The dragons flew wing tip to wing tip as the glided peacefully through the sky. After what felt like only a moment, I realized that the sun was getting lower by the minute, and the clouds were starting to change from white to the usual array of colours that never failed to amaze me.

"Down."

Doron clicked several times before dropping towards the ground as the setting sun blanketed it with soft orange light. Doron swiftly landed in an open clearing, absent of many trees harbouring only grass and several small ponds that dotted its surface. As I dismounted, the other dragons set down in different spots all across the wide open field, their shadows blackening the otherwise brilliantly lit grass that covered the field. Just as I set foot on the ground, Jules and Lucy came jogging towards me, stopping in unison in front of me.

"I told you we could help." Lucy said.

"Now please, let us guide you. You need all the help you can get. Trust us." Jules added.

I sighed and looked around at the dragons for a moment, before looking back to Jules and Lucy.

"We will travel towards the coast, but first, we have to return to our valley. We have someone we must take with us." I said.