53

We flew for several days in the opposite direction from the center, trying to put enough distance between us and them to guarantee our safety. After searching for what felt like forever, I spotted a massive lake off in the distance. 

"There! That's perfect!" I shouted to Tahli, though she could hardly hear me.

Doron circled over the lake until he spotted a clearing for him to land in and take off from along with Ragon. We landed, and dismounted our dragons.

"This is the perfect place to stay for a while. Trees all around, great for fire wood, probably lots of animals for food, and shelter from the weather. We could stay here for months and not be detected." I said.

"I agree it's perfect, but I can't forget about what will happen to many of these men by the end of all this." I said.

"There is no victory without sacrifice." Tahli said. 

I looked up at Doron. I could see the regret in his eyes.

"They have already given enough." I said.

Just then, Jonah rode up on his horse.

"Ma'am, forgive me for asking, but why have we come here? Nobody told anyone anything before we started off a few days ago." He asked.

I looked at Tahli, then back to Jonah.

"We wait here for a while, the king will think we have given up and retreated. Then, when they least expect it, we attack. And this time we fight to the last man, and to the last dragon." I said.

He bowed, and turned to return to his horse. 

"Jonah, wait." I said.

He turned and looked back at me with a puzzled look on his face

"I'm going for a ride." Tahli said as she mounted Ragon. She seemed to sense that i'd prefer to be alone for a few minutes.

As Ragon took off over the lake, I motioned for Jonah to approach.

"You have done more than most. You brought me a majority of this army, you have fought gallantly in battle, and you have shown a high level of respect to me and my dragon. You have earned a reward." I said.

"You're blushing". He said with a grin on his face as he brushed his long blonde hair out of his eye.

"Doron, down." I said, completely ignoring my obvious blush.

I mounted Doron and motioned for Jonah to join. He hesitated, before struggling to climb Dorons massive wing. He smiled, I smiled back, then I gave Doron the command to fly.

"Fly."

He spread his wings and started forward.

"Hang on." I said to Jonah over my shoulder.

Doron gave a hard flap before he took to the air just above the lake. The cool water from the lake being stirred up by Dorons mass as he flew over was very refreshing. We flew for hours, well into the night.

"Lets go above the clouds." I said to Doron. 

He pitched up, until he breached he cloud layer. The clouds below were lit up with the light of a million stars, which covered the sky like a thick forest tree cover. I looked back to see Jonah gazing around in aw. I must admit, it was an amazing sight to behold.

"This is amazing.. Really it is." He said as he panned his head around looking at the endless sea of stars.

"Down." I said softly to Doron.

He pitched down and dove beneath the clouds. I looked over his side to see thousands of little fires made by groups of warriors spread through out the forest surrounding the lake. Doron landed next to Ragon, who was fast asleep, with Tahli under his wing sleeping as well. We both dismounted Doron, Jonah however stumbled and slide down Dorons wing and crashed to the ground.

"You alright?" I asked as I helped him up.

"Yeah, I'm alright. That was amazing. They're amazing." He said while looking up at Doron.

He locked eyes with me for a moment. I felt my muscles tense up as he cautiously placed his hands on my hips. His lips were warm, and soft, certainly not what I expected. Doron had fast fallen asleep, but his wing provided a perfect shelter. We embraced each other well into the night, which felt like forever. His warm, skinny body pressed up against mine was a major contrast to the cool brisk air blowing off the lake and under Dorons wing. Neither of us said anything afterwards, as we laid under Dorons wing.

"What on earth am I doing." I thought to myself.