41

I walked down the line of dead or dying soldiers, the few that hadn't died glared at me with anger, fear, and confusion in their eyes. We gathered the dead bodies into a pile, then Jonah, Micha, Tahli and I, along with all three dragons stood around it.

"Doron. Fire."

Doron burned the massive pile of dead bodies, which burned well into the night. As the massive army we had created slept, carpeting the wide open field, Doron once again stayed up to just look at the stars.

"Why don't you ever sleep when the others sleep?" I asked.

He just glanced at me before looking back up at the stars. But every night he seemed to be looking in the same direction, towards the volcano where my father found his egg. It looked like he was being drawn to is old 'home'.

"What's bothering you bud?"

Again, he just glanced at me briefly before looking back towards the volcano, which looked like a pebble at that distance.

"A dragons mind is unlike any other." Said a voice from behind me.

I turned to see Micha walking up to me in the dark. She came to my side and looked up at Doron, his massive head silhouetted against the sky, his massive backward pointing horns looked like spears in the dark, and as he opened his mouth slightly, it looked to be full of swords.

"Any idea what might be on his mind?" I asked Micha.

"No idea. Veracon and Ragon have started paying a lot more attention to that volcano as well."

She turned to look over at Veracon and Ragon also looking out at the volcano. It seemed like they were all drawn to it by something, perhaps the fact that it was where their eggs were laid.

"A dragons mind works like no other. A dragon knows where his priorities are, a dragon knows where his destiny will emerge from." I said as I looked up at Doron.

3 Days Later

We hadn't advanced on the kings forces, as we were with to many wounded, and no sufficient battle plan that would give us any chance at all of winning a fight. We had been sitting for several days now and still hadn't moved. We wouldn't have food for much longer, and needed to come up with something.

Just then, I heard my name being called. I looked up to see a man riding on horseback towards us as we tended to the dragons.

"Ma'am! Ma'am! A small group of soldiers is approaching from the front. Four, maybe five men!"

I looked at Micha in confusion, then back to the man.

"Are they armed?"

"They have their hands in the air, and are in a single file line. It doesn't appear to be an act of aggression." He said.

"Allow them through." I ordered.

As my men formed a clear path through the massive army, allowing the five soldiers to approach.

They dismounted their horses and dropped to one knee, except for the one in the middle, who began to speak.

"Jessica Albo of the south, your almighty king has recognized your ambition to form a new world for all those who inhabit it, and he understands that you have been blessed with three stunning dragons to serve you. He has offered you a choice. Surrender, and live, or fight, and die." He said with confidence.

"And why would I surrender? Does the king have anything to offer in return other than my life?" I asked.

"The almighty king has requested you meet with him to discuss the terms of your surrender. He swears you safe conduct, so long as you do the same in return." He said.

I looked to Micha and Tahli, then back at the soldier.

"How can I trust that the king will honor his word?" I asked sarcastically 

"You dare to question the kings honor?" He said as He stepped forward.

Doron roared and hissed ferociously, causing the soldier to step back.

"Tell your king I accept his meeting request, and tell him I will have guards with me. I will Be their in seven days." I said.

He bowed, mounted his horse, and rode off into the distance.

"Jess are you insane?" Micha asked.

"Probably... but, you never know, I might be able to strike up some kind of deal, even with a mad man."

"I hope you aren't walking into a trap." Tahli said.

I looked down at the ground.

"Me too." I said.