97

"Take us back! Now!" I demanded.

Doron chirped at Magar, before turning back towards the clouds in the direction of the river. Magar flew past us, moving much faster than Doron. We flew back towards the river, staying above the clouds to avoid being spotted, until we were close enough to the river to be certain of our safety. The two dragons dropped down from the clouds and started screeching and chirping wildly to get the attention of the others on the ground. Doron landed clumsily beside the river and let me down, along with Magar who landed down in front of Veracon.

"Back so soon?" Tahli said sounding surprised.

"Soldiers. Coming from behind us. They've got long range bows, they're coming for us and our dragons. We have to move." I said hurriedly.  

"What? How many?" Amy said as she came to join us.

Just then, Bailey came running.

"Lots! And the horses are running! They'll be here really soon! They were running as fast as we could fly!" Bailey shouted frantically.

"Shit. Get all your stuff together then! If that's true, we haven't got much time before we get ambushed." Amy said firmly. 

She and Bailey turned to gather all their weapons, while Tahli stayed to talk with me.

"Assassins? more than a year since the last battle. The king thinks that we've all been killed off. What are those men coming to do? And how do they know we're here?" She asked.

"They must have sent scouts to look for us. The survivors must have reported that none of the dragons were killed in the fighting. That must be what Doron seemed so pissed off about that one night were we all thought we were surrounded by wolves. He could smell the scouts. Now they've found us." I said.

"How could we have been so naive as to think no one would come looking for us". Tahli added.

"Come on! We've got to go!" Amy shouted.

I could feel the ground start to shake as the soldiers got closer and closer. Amy and Bailey strapped the spears and extra bows to Doron, Veracon and Ragon. Doron chirped at the young dragons to get their attention. They all snapped their heads up in obedience as he walked up to them.

"Are we ready to go?!" Amy begged.

"Where's Jonah"?! I shouted while looking around.

"I'm over here!" He shouted in reply.

"Come on"! we've got to get out of here! Now!" I shouted while waving my hand in for him to hurry.

He picked up his bow, and his spears and hurried over to me. I took them from him and strapped them to Doron along with my own weapons. I could now feel see the silhouettes of the bows off in the distance, growing closer and closer with each passing second. When I realized how many there were, I felt more hopeless than I had ever felt before.

"We're going to die. We're all going to die!" Bailey shouted.

"No we're not. We're going to get away. We've going to have to fight if we're to escape." I said.

"They're to small! They'll never survive! We can't fight. We have to run." Tahli pleaded.

"The smaller ones can't fight, but Doron can. You guys go. I'll hold them off until you get far enough away to be safe." I said.

"No. We aren't leaving you here by your self."  Amy said with determination.

"I'm not debating this. Doron and I are staying. The rest of you are going. Bailey, you going With Tahli." I demanded.

"No. I'm not leaving Magar." She said.

I narrowed my eyes.

"I said go with Ta-"

"I said i'm staying with Magar. I'm not leaving her alone. I don't care what any of you say." Bailey said firmly.

I was rather stunned at her sudden show of defiance, but I didn't have time to argue.

"Fine. Do as you wish. But you stay close to them, okay? You never leave their sight. Keep your dragon in line." I said firmly.

She came forward and hugged me briefly before turning and running over to Magar. She mounted her dragon and turned to look at me briefly before Magar took off away from the river.

"I'm staying with you." Jonah said as he put his hand on my shoulder.

I glanced over my shoulder at him.

"Fine. But don't get yourself killed." I said reluctantly.

"I'm staying too. Ragon will stick with Doron. Two flames are better than one." Tahli added.

I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"The young ones wont go anywhere unless instructed by one of ours. One of them will have to go with them." I said.

"Veracon! Go with them!" Amy shouted.

She then turned to Tahli.

"I'll go back with you." She said to Tahli.

"Get your bow down from him before he flies off." I added.

Amy turned and ran over to Veracon, and retrieved her bow, with several arrows. Veracon turned away and took off, with the young dragons following him over the river. Doron and Ragon stood side by side, and the four scrambled to get into position, before a small arrow struck the ground just in front of me.