10

A huge smile formed across Michas face, I hadn't seen her smile that much since she was a little girl. She looked at me briefly before looking back at the dragon baby trying to break out of his shell.

"Quick take them out of the fire!" Micha said with urgency. 

I did so, reaching in with my hand wrapped in a shirt, I pulled the black egg from the flame, followed by the other two. I placed the up against the rocks, and sat in front of them waiting for the baby to pop out of his egg.

The first dragon chick to hatch was the one in the black egg. He pushed his head out of the egg, breaking it down the middle, freeing him from the egg. I had seen animals hatch from eggs before. They are usually slimy and wet, messy and eggshells stuck to the slim. But the dragons were different. They were completely dry, no slim, no mess, no nothing. 

The little black dragon stubled towards me and Micha, as he was stumbling around, the cream colored egg began to crack, followed closely by the green egg. The black baby dragon had little red accents on the tips of his spines and wings, but whats otherwise all black. 

"We'll call him Doron." I said.

Moments later, the cream egg cracked and fell apart.

"Veracon."

The finally, The green egg fell apart.

"Ragon."

The three dragons wandered aimlessly around the cave, Ragon even tried to leave the cave before I picked him up and brought him back. Doron quickly displayed his dominance over the other two by taking a place next to me, holding his head up high above his chest. 

"Oh my God look at them!" Micha exclaimed happily.

"Hand me that horse leg Micha." I said to her.

She brought the leg over to me and dropped it at my feet. As if on command, the dragon chicks started ripping it apart and devouring it.

"Looks like they're hungry." Micha said.

We stepped back and allowed the dragon chicks to explore their new cave. They fought with each other, chased each other, Veracon even tried to fly, though he obviously didn't get very high off the ground with his stubby little wings. 

"Jess, what do we do with them? Won't it take years for them to get big enough to survive on their own?" Micha ask.

I looked to her and grinned.

"We haven't got anything to rush back for, we have no family, no nothing. Why would you wanna go back? We will stay here with these dragons... raise them... and one day, use them to avenge our people, and our parents." I said firmly

She just kind of looked at me, as though silently agreeing with me, because she never made any protest to it any time after that. We settled in that night, the dragons tethered ta large rock with ropes, all slept next time me on my ledge, Micha across from me fast asleep. 

I hadn't felt such an amazing feeling in all my life. Dragons had been extinct for one-hundred years, and now, Micha and I had three dragons.

The last of the dragons.