99

Magar dove on the bows. One fired its arrow, which flew right past the dragon. She let a stream of fire down on the two bows trained on her, taking them both out with one swift pass, but several more opened fire on the purple dragon. Suddenly, seemingly out of no where, more flames began raining down on the sky. I turned around to see Veracon, along with the other dragons diving on the last of the bows and soldiers. Two soldiers ran towards us with their swords held up above their heads, screaming wildly as they ran at us. But before he got to us, Tegon dropped down onto on of the soldiers, crushing him under her weight, before reaching over and grabbing the second in her jaws and began shaking violently, tearing the man apart.

"Veracon!" Amy yelled out.

Veracon set down in front of us and let out a victorious screech as he crushed the last long range bow below his massive claws tipping his wings. He bent his head down to us and observed Amy, crippled and covered in blood in the grass. The other dragons flew around throughout the battle field, taking out the last of the assassins. Magar landed beside Veracon, and seconds later Bailey came running.

"I-I know I didn't do what you said, but I-I-I was scared you were going to get killed and stuff and I-I-"

"Relax. Thank you. You saved us." I said while I caressed her left cheek.

She smiled, than gave me a hug as the other dragons set themselves down around us.

"Let's get those arrows out." Tahli said.

When I let go of Bailey, I noticed blood in her hair from the wound on my arm. We walked over to Doron and Ragon as they licked their bleeding wounds. I pulled the arrows out one by one from Doron, and he shrieked every time one was pulled from his body. Ragon reacted similarly, though he didn't bleed as much.

"They should be alright." Tahli said.

I patted Doron as he moaned in pain, then turned to gaze over the battle field.

"We should probably make sure they're all dead." Tahli said.

"Here. Take this." I said as I tossed Tahli a spear.

We walked back over to Amy, Bailey and Jonah.

"You stay here with Jonah and Amy. We'll be back soon." I said to Bailey.

Amy was still badly crippled on the ground, with the arrow going right through her leg. The wound was bleeding, though not enough to put her in immediate danger.

"Keep and eye on that."  I said to Jonah.

He nodded. Tahli and I turned and starting wandering through the burnt field of dead bodies, blood, internal organs, severed limbs and smoke, along with small fires that were still burning. A few soldiers had somehow survived the wrath of the dragon, and were lying crippled and scorched on the burnt ground. One by one, I forced my spear through the chests of the dying men, as Tahli did the same. The smell and sight of blood and body parts strewn about on the ground nearly made me vomit, even though I had seen it a few times before.

"That's the last of them." Tahli said.

We walked back to the others, and were greeted with the sight of Jonah  trying to removed the arrow from Amy's leg. She screamed out in agonizing pain as he moved the arrow slightly. I hurried to help, and grabbed hold of Amy's leg to stabilize it.

"Okay. On the count of three, I'm going to pull. Okay? One, two-"

Before he said three, he yanked the arrow forcefully from Amy's leg. She screamed in pain and buried her face in the grass with her hands wrapped around the wound. Blood was seeping through her fingers as she rolled back and forth on the ground.

"Here, hand me your dagger." I said to Tahli.

Tahli handed me her dagger, and with it I cut a piece of my shirt off and proceeded to wrap it around the wound on Amy's leg.

"You'll be alright. Just give it time." I said.

I then turned to Tahli and Jonah.

"Now what do we do?" Tahli asked.

"Well, it's obvious they know we're here. We can no longer stay here. We have to leave." I said.

"Where are we going to go?" Jonah cut in.

"I don't know. But we can't stay here. That is for certain." I said.

We had been on the run for so many years now, that I had nearly forgotten what life was like before this seemingly pointless stale mate started. So many people, including my entire family had died, and so many more had been changed for ever. I had the feeling it was going to come to an end soon, though I had been having that feeling for years. After every thing I had seen and done, I was surprised I still had my sanity... And my life.