185

Three Days Later

"Jess? Jess?! Wake up!" 

I woke to Amy shaking me feverishly as Tahli and Amy grabbed their bows and scrambled to their feet. I was about to ask what was going on, but I was startled by the screams of dragons that seemed close by.

"Stay quiet. He's after them, not us." Tahli said.

We crept to the edge of the forest and watched three silhouetted dragons twist and turn through the air with the bright orange and pink sky on the horizon. As they grew nearer, it became clear that they were in fact the two young dragons that escaped the much larger one that attacked them, but this time with a different dragon pursuing them. This dragon was smaller than the one from a few days prior, and had a much more extravagant set of colours consisting of red, green and white set up in spotted patterns across her body. The two younger dragons shot flames back at their attacker while doing their best to avoid her own flames. One of the fleeing dragons latched on to her attackers back as the other attempted to put the predator down with flames, but failed as the two of them hit the ground. The second dragon came to his companions side as they both turned to face their attacker.

"Stay down, don't let them spot us." I said in a whisper.

The two smaller dragons spat fire at their attacker, and since this dragon was much smaller than the previous one, they quickly got the upper hand, even though the attacker was still twice their size. The blue and gold dragon leapt into the air in an attempt to got his teeth around his attackers neck. But the larger dragon was quick to respond, grabbing the young dragons wing before shaking him violently before tossing him to the ground, and turning her attention back to the last dragon. The red and white dragon backed away slowly, letting out a familiar call that I had heard before, but couldn't remember the source for. The sound was high pitched, causing our ears to ring in pain.

"What the hell is that?!" Amy exclaimed as she covered her ears.

Before I could come up with an answer, the two dragons engaged each other once more, snapping at each other and spitting fire blindly in the hopes of scoring a hit on the other. After several minutes of fighting and blood shed, both dragons stopped suddenly and looked up at the sky over the forest. The younger of the two called out and flapped her wings as the attacker showed signs of fear as she backed away. 

"Did they see us?" Bailey asked with a quiver.

"If they did we probably wouldn't still be alive." I replied.

The smaller dragon chirped excitedly as the attacker turned and took off, attempting to flee over the ocean. Even the severely injured blue and gold dragon perked his head up towards the clouds, with blood dripping from his mouth. The larger dragon flew over the water before suddenly banking back towards the trees, calling out desperately before suddenly being attacked from above by a massive dragon that appeared out of no where from the clouds, ripping the dragon apart with almost no effort. The enormous dragon set herself down on the beach, the ground shaking under her weight as she set down triumphantly, before letting out a bellowing roar that carried for miles in all directions. Tahli, Amy and I slowly turned our heads to look at Bailey, who was struck at the sight that just befell her. The ocean suddenly seemed to silence itself as Bailey's breathing became more and more apparent.

"Magar..."