160

Tahli and Amy turned around at the sound of the immature voice talking to us. One of two girls who appeared to be the same age was looking up at me, her eyes blood red, and her hands shaking uncontrollably. The second set of eyes was coming from the child who seemed to have his head caved in with something of considerable size and weight. He tried to hold his eyes open, but the blood dripping down over his face made this a difficult task for him. The girl looked around at her siblings, and to my surprise, didn't seem all that affected by what she saw. 

"My God!" I shouted as I jutted forward towards the boy.

"Let me look at him! Take care of the girl!" Amy exclaimed as she hurried to my side.

She flipped the boy on his back and started covering his wound as he mumbled, seemingly unaware of what had happened to him. I turned my attention to the girl, as she prodded her dead twin in the hopes of waking her. I knelt down in front of her and carefully moved her hair aside to expose her eye, which had been masked by her light blonde hair before.

"What's your name?" I asked her softly.

She paused for a moment, not saying anything as she kept her eyes on her dying brother in Amy's arms.

"Keep your eyes on me. What's your name?" 

She looked up at me and sniffled slightly.

"Surrie. My name is Surrie." She said hesitantly.

I smiled slightly.

"And his?" I asked, referring to her only surviving sibling.

"Briggs." She replied.

"How's he doing Amy?" I asked as I turned my head to her.

"I'm working on it. Check the others for signs of life." She replied instantly.

Tahli looked over at the oldest and inspected her empty eye sockets, not showing any emotion at the gruesome sight.

"Her name was Kelly." Surry said.

I looked to the boy with his throat torn out.

"And his?" I asked.

"Tim." She replied.

I was about to ask the name of another of her slain siblings, when Tahli cut me off.

"How did you even survive?" Tahli asked.

Without giving it a second thought, Surrie answered.

"They killed a bunch of people outside, then came in here. The shot them in the head, hit Briggs with the fat part of the weird arrows they had, and shot Annie in the chest when she was standing in front of me. It scared me so I fell down, but they didn't come after me again. I heard one of them say that they wanted to have some fun with us, then I heard Kelly screaming for our parents, and then Briggs started crying, before he sounded like he was choking on something, then he stopped. I didn't move until they left, I think they thought they hit me too, but they didn't. I just want to see my mom." She said as her eyes started to fill with tears.

Tahli and I looked at each other, just as Amy said my name almost silently. I turned to her as she shook her head from side to side as she rested Briggs gently on the ground in front of her. I sighed in defeat as I turned my attention back to Surrie, who I could tell had just grasped the reality of the situation. 

"And you're how old?" Tahli cut in.

"I'm eight." Surry replied quietly.

"Come. We can't stay here." I said as I reached out my hand to help Surrie to her feet.

The young girl struggled to get up, but fell backwards before she could fully stand.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I stopped to catch her.

"I-I don't know. I can't feel my leg." She replied.

I looked down at her leg, and it was only then that I noticed blood streaming down her leg and onto the floor. I figured I hadn't noticed it due to the sheer amount of blood coating the floor like dragon fire.

"Amy?!" I exclaimed.

Amy hurried over, knelt down and pulled the clothing up her left leg to reveal two holes in the lower back of it. 

"She's been hit. She won't be able to walk." Amy said as she wrapped the injury and picked Surrie up.

"You sure you can carry her?" I asked.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." Amy replied.

Without another word, we walked back outside and scanned the village streets one last time. Something in the back of my head told me that there were no other survivors of the senseless attack, so I decided to turn back and return to the others. It seemed as though the people that did this didn't just do it for their sake, but rather with the intent to harm others and cause life changing things to happen to their loved ones. 

"We've got to find them. And we've got to kill them." I said.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!