112

Amy turned her head to me with wide eyes.

"You think so? Let's go look!" She exclaimed as she jolted forward.

"No, don't. She wont allow you any closer. She likely nested up on a rock ledge to keep the eggs safe from predators. If they would even be a threat to them." I replied.

"Right... Well, where do we go now?" Tahli asked as she walked up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around to face her.

"We start at my home village. Many of those people knew me as a child. They will be easy to convince." I said.

"How far away is it? Are there no villages closer than that?" John asked.

"Yes, there are, but my old family friends will be much easier to convince to rejoin me. We go there first. That's final." I said firmly as Bailey mounted Magar.

The group all nodded their heads in agreement with me, before the began gathering their weapons and supplies. Ragon came over to Tahli and began clicking as the two reconciled together. Veracon was latched on to the side of the valley wall when he flew down and landed off to the side, calling for Amy to join him. She walked up to him as his cawing reduced itself to a purr as he nudged her with his massive head. I turned around to see Doron approaching me with his head held low to the ground and his mouth partially open.

"You ready to get going?" I asked as I patted him on the side of his face.

He groaned before turning to the side and stretched his wing for me to mount. 

"John, you and the others come with me."

After strapping all my weapons to the dragons side, I settled down on my usual spot as Doron turned to face the rest of the group.

"Hang on to his quills. Same as last time." I said.

I then turned and faced the others as the waited for instructions.

"Let's do this!" I shouted as I held my bow up above my head.

"Fly!" 

Doron roared out over the valley, along with the other dragons, before taking off over the river running down the center of the valley and ascending up above the valley wall. All ten dragons flew beside each other as they got higher and higher, until finally, the valley had vanished beyond the horizon.

"How long will it take us to get there?" Theodore asked.

"A few days of flying should get us there. We'll find some where to stop for the night." I said over my shoulder.

"A few days? Why must this world be so large." He replied, sounding annoyed.

Just then, Magar flew over us. I looked up to see Bailey looking down at me with a smile on her face as she waved. I smiled back as I raised my bow slightly, before looking back ahead of where we were going. The smaller dragon dove down below Doron, and re-emerged behind us with the rest of the group.

Several Days Later

Early one morning, as we were gliding through the cool, breezy air, I caught sight of something up ahead. I squinted my eyes in a futile effort to make out what I was looking at, before I came to realize that I was looking at the edge of a village. My old village. 

"There it is." I said as John, Theodore and Easton peered over Doron's side.

I turned to around and signaled Tahli and Amy to descend in order to land. I hadn't been back to the place of my birth in what felt like an eternity. A flood of emotions came over me as the village came into better view. I just hoped that the people who resided there would still trust me.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!