26

I circled over head, looking for targets, prisoners, and weapons. I looked over the yard, there were prisoners doing slave labor, with guards whipping and beating people mercilessly. I spotted a group of guards transporting some kind of supplies and decided to take them out. I figured that it would lessen the odds of being killed.

"Down!" I commanded Doron.

Doron dove down towards the group on unsuspecting guards, as they turned to face Doron, the look of shock and fear on their faces was something I will never forget.

"Fire! Now!" I yelled.

On command, Doron let loose with a stream of fire raining down on the guards. The screams of men as the burned alive was one of the most disturbing thing i'd heard in a long time, though it would be a sound I would eventually get used to. We flew over the the prison wall, and landed in the center of the yard, as Doron breathed fire down over any guards that crossed his path. I jumped from Dorons back, drew my bow and fired an arrow at a guard that was running for the prison. Doron briefly took off and and landed in front of the prison, stopping anyone from getting to it. I ran to his side, climbed to his back, and stood firmly at the base of his head, as he lowered it to expose me to the terrified mass of guards and prisoners. 

I waited until everyone had calmed, but I decided I didn't feel like waiting any longer, and Doron roared and hissed to scare everyone into submission.

"I'm here looking for Tahli Ester." I said while wielding  my bow.

There was a brief silence, before a skinny, beat up blonde haired girl stepped forward on shaky legs. 

"Tahli?" I said in disbelief at the fact that she was actually still alive.

"J-Jessica? Jessica Albo?" She said as her eyes widened.

Without another word, we embraced each other in a tight hug, Tahli sobbing the entire time.

"Uhm... what's this?" She asked, motioning to Doron behind us.

"This is my dragon, Doron. I've got two others." I said.

"We-were did you get them?" She asked.

"I'll explain on the way back." I said.

"Back where?" Tahli asked.

"I'm taking you out of here. Into the mountains. I'll explain later." I said while moving here behind Doron.

I helped Tahli up onto Doron's back, before drawing my sword and re-entering the crowd.

"You!" I yelled as I approached a head guard.

I forced him to the ground with my sword up against his throat.

"Do you know of any military detachment that will be alone in this area for any reason at all over the next several days?" I demanded.

He looked at me, puzzled for a moment.

"And why would I tell a slut like you what I know?" He said in a confidently arrogant voice.

"Because he wants to know." I said while motioning to Doron.

He looked at me, and narrowed his eyes.

"Two days from today, a battalion will be heading south towards the river to dump bodies in." He said while shaking feverishly. 

I turned away and walked back towards Doron, mounted him, and gave him the command to take off.

"Hang onto his Quills."  I told Tahli.

Doron toke off and flew back over the wall towards the forest.

"Doron, wait, they've gotta go. Burn them all." I commanded.

Doron banked left and headed back towards the prison. 

"What are you doing?" Tahli asked.

"Nobody can know about him. They all have to die." I said in a flat tone.

Tahli didn't look happy, but she seemed to understand. Doron passed over the building several times, spitting fire down from above until the building had burnt to the ground, and everyone, prisoner and guard alike, had been killed in the blaze.

"No witnesses." I said as we turned and headed back towards the cave.

With Tahli freed, I now had three riders.... For three dragons.