38

"Jess... You and I both know we can't stay here... Once the king finds out, the entire military will we on our ass. We have to move, now." Micha said.

I looked out at our army, then back at the dragons.

"I-I know. But where?"

"Anywhere but here."

I looked up at the sky as it began to darken, trying to think of a solution. I knew we had to leave.

"No. No we're not running. We will stand and fight. Any force the king throws at us will be slaughtered." I said.

Micha and Tahli looked at me with major concern in their eyes.

"Jess we can't stay here." Micha said.

"Jonah and his men wouldn't know that we moved. There's no way we could move and still form up with a larger army. It's impossible. It will take any size force from the center of the kings empire several days to reach us. We prepare for battle, we stand and fight."

Tahli raised her finger to try and speak, but I put my hand up to silence her.

"That's final. That's what's happening. No more fighting small unprepared groups of soldiers. If we wanna win, we've got to take out the entire military." I said firmly.

"Well... Do you think Jonah will be back before then?" Tahli asked.

"I'm not sure. I'd say we have four, maybe five days, tops, before we come under siege." I said.

"Well let's hope they get back with more men by then." Micha said.

"Indeed." Tahli added.

That night as we went to sleep, Doron still in pain from the strike to his leg, Veracon and Ragon by his side. I fell asleep rather quickly, tired as all hell from the events of the day. Though I didn't get a deep sleep that night, my fathers words flooding my mind all night.

In the middle of the night I woke to a slight nudge on my back. I turned to see Doron's snout only inches away from me.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

Doron obviously didn't say anything, but he did pull his head back and wandered away into the empty field surrounding us. I followed him, sensing he desired my company. I sat down beside Doron as he looked up at the stars, the mountains outlined against them. Doron always seemed to be more connected with the world around him, though I didn't know why. Just then, I turned back as I heard rustling behind me, to see Veracon and Ragon coming towards us. I stepped to the side as Ragon and Doron wrapped the necks around each other, followed closely by Veracon. I walked far enough back as to avoid being crushed by the entanglement of wings, tails and claws. Even though they were hundreds of feet in size, they behaved like you children when they weren't fighting. I couldn't help but think of how small they were just a few years ago when I hatched them in the cave, or the moment my father gifted their eggs to me.

"Alright you three c'mon now. You're going to wake everyone."

They stopped messing around and bowed their heads in submission and acceptance.

"Go fly around. Stretch your wings. You clearly don't want to just sit here." I said while motioning to the sky.

All three dragons looked at me soullessly before I remembered that they only know certain commands. 

"Fly."

Doron came to his feat, spread his wings and launched into the air. Veracon and Ragon followed close behind. They wouldn't go far, they new better, they had done it before, and knew to be back by morning. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder.

It was Tahli.

"Those dragons are our only hope." She said.

I looked up as the dragons circled over head.

"I know... that's what worries me."