2

The next morning, my family awoke to see my dad off on his hunting trip, the sky was clear and the sun was just starting to peak up above the trees. We walked him to collect his horse, he mounted, put his arrow sack and bow around his neck, then set off with the rest of the group heading towards the volcano.

As he was riding off, we heard a woman screaming in panic. My mother, sister and I hurried to see what was happening, as we rounded the corner we saw soldiers dragging a woman down the street towards a large wooden platform used for executions. Before my mother could say anything, Micha ran off to go watch whatever they were going to do, and I naturally followed her, partially because I didn't want to loose her, partially because I wanted to see what would happen.

We reached the platform before the majority of the crowd, so we got a front row seat. They waited until a large crowd had formed, then began strapping the woman to a wooden post.

"Jane Reiner has been found guilty of false accusations against a guard of the king. Accusing said guard of sexual assault, and falsifying claims. She has there for been sentenced to die." Said a soldier who stood out in front of the woman as she struggled and cried.

"No! No please! He tried to rape me! Please!" She cried out to the crowd.

The man tasked with carrying out the execution stepped forward with a sword, held it to her throat, and slit it open, spilling blood out onto the platform. He cut the the ropes and let her fall to the floor. She hit the ground and struggled as the blood poured out on the ground, and her last breath left her lungs. 

Micha and I just looked on rather unfazed. It certainly wasn't the first time we had seen some get killed that way. I've seen a lot worse too. Just then my mother caught up with us, and just sighed at the sight on blood on the ground in front of us.

"Come on girls. Lets get out of here." She said.

We hurried off back towards the house. It was common place for people to be killed or jail for so much as disagreeing with the king in any regard. It was suicide to speak against him, and even more so to say you wanted to have your own dragon. Not sure why since dragons are no longer living, and no heated eggs have been found. Though if a heated egg were to be found, it could be transported for a day or so before the dormant chick inside would die.

We returned home and went inside to relax, and to take in the fact that we hadn't been killed by anyone yet.

Just then, my mother looked out the front window.

"Oh my. A storm is on its way in, coming over the volcano." She said.

"But that's where dad is!" Micha shouted.

"Oh no need to worry, he's been through much worse than a little storm." She said.

Later that night, the winds were fast, trees were toppled, buildings were damaged, and I was worried about my father all night long, hoping that he was able to find shelter some were in the forest with the others.

The next morning we woke up and went outside to find trees fallen in the streets, one had fallen on a house and caved in the roof. Micha clung close to my mothers side, I could tell she was worried about our dad. However I had seen him come back from storms much worse than the one we had last night with a kill, so I wasn't to worried. Something did feel strange though, like things were about to change all at once.....

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Mountain Dragon"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!