68

2 Weeks Later

"Good!" I exclaimed.

Amy had learned the way of the bow fast. Much faster than anyone i'd ever seen, including myself. She was no longer the frighted, helpless girl she was when I found her. While she was yet to fight in any real combat, she certainly figured out how to use the bow to its full affect.

"Nicely done." Tahli said as she walked up behind me.

"Thanks. I've been practicing for what feels like forever. My hand is cramping up now." Amy said while twisting her wrist.

"Best be getting used to that." I said while chuckling.

She shrugged her shoulders and resumed with the bow. Up above, Ragon was flying around with Veracon close behind. Doron was resting once again off behind us. The sky was clear, no clouds to be seen. The breeze was cool against my skin, the long grass flowing along with it, yet the breeze did not blow off Amy's arrows. The all hit their mark on the tree.

"You think she's getting close?" Tahli asked in a whisper.

I looked at Veracon flying over head with Ragon.

"That's not for me to decide." I said.

Ragon came down beside Tahli, his landing shook the ground like an earthquake. She reached out and placed her hand on the side of his upper jaw.

"Nice up there, isn't it?"

Ragon Purred before stretching his wings briefly, then joining Doron in rest.

"Well, come on then. Keep working at it. You must prove your worth to the dragon." I said.

She continued for the entirety of the day, constantly looking to Veracon as he flew around above. He gave no sign that he gave much care as to what was going on. He landed along with Doron and Ragon as the slept in the late day sun. Amy looked around, before she paused on a tree behind us. She walked back to the tree and began to climb it, with her bow and several arrows in hand.

"What are you doing?" I asked as she climbed the tree.

The dragons seemed to take notice of the situation as they all propped their heads up out of curiosity. Amy climbed to the top of the tree, which was nearly one hundred feet away from the tree she had practiced on. 

"You think she can do it?" Tahli asked.

"We're about to find out." I replied.

She drew her bow up to her shoulder and pulled the arrow back as far as it could go, and held it for several seconds. She pitched the arrow up, slightly away from the tree. 

"Hang your bow on the tree trunk." She shouted.

I gave Tahli a confused look, before shooting an arrow into the tree and hanging my bow from it. Amy pitched her bow back up, and held it there for several seconds. The dragons looked on curiously as she remained paused. 

She loosed the arrow. We watched it fly through the air towards the tree, before it struck the tree between the bow handle and string. She looked down at us, before descending the tree and coming to join us.

"How's that for a good shot?" She asked with confidence.

"Not bad. Now just be able to do the same while the tree is shooting back at you." I said.

Before should say anything, we all felt the ground vibrate slightly. We all turned around to see Veracon approaching, with Doron and Ragon looking on curiously. Tahli and I backed away as Amy stepped forward. Veracon snarled and showed his teeth while Amy stood there motionlessly. 

"Put your hand out." I whispered to Amy.

She did as I instructed, cautiously reaching her hand out towards Veracon hesitantly. He pulled his head back slightly before moving back towards Amy. His teeth were showing the entire time, the quills running down his back standing up in a show of size. Amy looked terrifyed, but also calm and collected as the dragon got nearer and nearer.

"Don't be afraid. If he was going to kill you he probably would have done it by now." I said softly.

"Oh, thanks. That's very comforting." She replied.

Veracon lowered his head until he locked eyes with Amy. She reached her hand out to just in front of his nose. I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest the entire time as I waited. Finally, after what felt like a lifetime, Amy shut her eyes and forcibly placed her hand on Veracon's nose. I felt my heart stop, as for a moment I expected the dragon to react with anger. But he did no such thing. He dropped his head to the ground and purred, while closing his eyes. Amy turned to Tahli and I for direction.

I gave her a smile.

"That's it. You've proven your worth to him. He is now yours to ride, yours to love, yours to protect and be protected by. He is yours to live with, and die with. That is all. That... Is the bond."