70

The Next Morning

      "Tahli? Tahli! Let's go!" I called out as I came out from under Doron's wing.

Tahli crawled out and came to her feet. She brushed herself off and started over to me as I stood in front of Ragon. The grass was wet with morning dew, which was evident given the rather damp state of my clothes.

"I must say, I slept abnormally well last night compared to what I usually get." She said as she brushed of the wet grass stuck to her back.

"Let's get Amy up. We've gotta get moving." I said.

We both turned to Veracon as he propped his head up to see Doron approaching him. He raised his left wing up to expose Amy, who was still fast asleep on her grass pillow beside Veracon's massive chest.

"Amy! Let's go!" I shouted.

She jumped up within a second and looked around before pausing when she noticed me. She rubbed her eyes.

"You guys can never let me sleep in, can you?" She said sarcastically.

"War doesn't wait. Gather your weapons, i'll help you strap them on." I said.

She picked up her bow and arrows, along with a sword and a few spears and walked over to Veracon while I followed with some rope. I tied a series of knots in the rope that were just wide enough to put the spears through to hold the, during flight. I put her sword through a piece of cloth tied around her waist, strapped the arrows to the bow and put it around her neck.

"Don't use arrows unless you either get caught without your dragon, or if he misses a target. If you run out of arrows, use your spear is you're at long range, and your sword if you're close. Got it?" I said as I adjusted the bow.

"Got it. Are you expecting us to have to fight along with way there?" Amy asked.

"No, but you never know." I replied.

Tahli cut in.

"Alright, get on. Don't fall off. He'll stay with the other two unless you tell him otherwise." Tahli said as she turned Amy towards Veracon's extended wing.

Without protest, Amy climbed up slowly to mount Veracon. She grabbed hold of his quills and took hold of some rope that was attached to her spear holding rope in order to not fall off.

"Right. Let's get going. This time when we get back, none of them leave without us on them." Tahli said.

"Agreed. I'd rather not go on another eternal feeling chase to find them." I said.

We mounted our dragons, weapons in hand and strapped down. 

"Fly."

Doron started forward, flapping his wings with each stride of his legs, until he got off the ground, with Ragon close behind. I looked back to see Veracon flapping his wings with Amy holding on for dear life as he took off and came up to join us. The three dragons flew wing tip to wing tip. We flew up above the clouds throughout the day to see the endless field of clouds mixed with open space. I looked over to see Amy sitting up on Veracon, having let go of the rope, she spread her arms, much like a dragons wings, and looked around in fascination, much like I did when I rode Doron for the first time. We flew until the sun started to get lower and the sky turned from blue to a fabulous mix of pink and orange with the sun set.

I turned to Tahli and pointed down, to indicate that we should land for the night. She nodded and instructed Ragon to descend below the clouds. Amy followed with me close behind. Ragon touched down on top of the trees, knocking several of them over in the process. Doron and Veracon did the same, as there were no open spaces anywhere in sight.

"No fire tonight, we're all tired, and so are they. We'll hunt tomorrow. For now let's get some sleep." I said as I slide down Doron's wing.

Amy and Tahli both just shrugged their shoulders, said good night and took shelter under their dragons wings. That night it rained, hard. The grass outside was soaked in inches of water, but Doron's leg provided a decent place to stay away from the cold, wet ground. The sound of rain hitting his wing was soothing, yet irritating. Somehow, I slept well that night, even thought not much had transpired during the day.

Several Days Later

We had been flying since the early hours of the morning, though it was now Mid day. As we flew, I caught a familiar scent, which made my heart partially sink. I could smell smoke. I looked around for the source, before off in the distance, I could see smoke rising up from what looked like several villages that were spread out hours apart from each other. I pointed repeatedly until Tahli and Amy figured out what the problem was. They both gave me a concerned look, though I figured if it was some kind of fight, we would be better off with soldiers on the ground fighting. We weren't far from where the army was waiting for us, so I decided to continue on instead of turning to investigate the smoke. Finally, up ahead, I could see the clearing where the dragons stayed along side our army. I just hoped that my decision wouldn't cost people their lives. 

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Dragon's Bond"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!