102

2 Days Later

I was cleaning a rabbit I had killed as Yulion sat sleeping beside me. Cumano was now trying to court Tegon while Doron was off hunting. Ragon didn't bother challenging Doron, as he had never been successful in doing so. Magar had gone off with Doron hunting, as the two had formed the strongest bond between any of the dragons, and this was clearly shown when ever one of the others tried to steal Magar away from him. 

As I cleaned the rabbit, I saw Doron and Magar approaching from the east. As he landed, Veracon and Ragon came down from the top of the valley walls. Tegon and Alio were resting in the shade as Veracon and Ragon stood side by side as Doron approached. I realized what was going on, and I quickly moved everyone away.

"Come on, we've got to get out of here." I said as everyone followed me not knowing why.

"What's happening?" Amy asked.

"They're going to fight." I said.

We stood up against the side of the valley wall and watched helplessly. Magar, Tegon and Alio moved off to the side, maybe thirty feet from where we were standing, as the other male dragons approached the developing fight. Doron screeched and spread his wings in an effort to discourage his challengers. But The others weren't buying it. Veracon lunged at Doron and grabbed him by the neck as Ragon grabbed hold of his back. The two brought Doron to the ground as Yulion and Tilio latched on to Ragon, causing him to fall back as the clawed at his head. Fire flew wildly around the valley, lighting up several patches of grass and trees.

"What the hell are they doing?!" Amy exclaimed. 

"They're competing for mating rights. Three females, seven males. Doron wont risk his life to hold on to all three if he's challenged by several other dragons. How ever, he will risk his life to hold on to just one." I replied.

I was worried for their lives, but nothing could be done about it. Ragon thrashed his head back and forth as Yulion hung from his lower jaw. He threw Yulion to the ground and spit fire at him before whipping his tail into the young dragon, throwing him up against the valley wall with a thud before he fell to the ground and moaned in pain. Derion latched on to Ragon as Tilio attacked his left leg with a stream of fire. Ragon screeched in pain as he struggled to get back up to defend himself. Doron threw Veracon to the ground and into a small group of trees, knocking them over before setting the fallen trees aflame and crushing Veracon under his wing. Veracon cried out in submission before dropping his head to the ground. Doron allowed Veracon to get up, and with out any further aggression, Veracon stumbled off to the side and plopped down off to the side of the fighting. Doron turned back to Ragon and the two began ripping at each other, as well as using their flames to ward off each others attacks. Derion flew up to Doron and grabbed hold of his neck with his teeth. Doron switched his attention from Ragon to Derion. He thrashed his head around wildly, hissing and screeching. Doron stumbled over until he reached the wall off to the side of where we were standing. He slammed his side into the wall, causing Derion to screech in pain. As Doron pulled his body away from the wall, Derion dropped motionless to the ground and landed just beside us, nearly crushing us. The dragon looked up at me as he tried to get back to his feet. Doron turned to see Ragon grabbing Cumano in his jaws and tossing him to the ground before roasting the young dragon with his flaming breath. Cumano stumbled away and flopped over into a pond off to the side. 

Tilio, Ragon and Doron looked around at their fallen competitors. The three of them then turned to face Alio, Magar and Tegon. Magar stepped forward and approached Doron, who was dripping blood from several deep gashes covering his body. The two touched their snouts before Magar bowed her head in submission. Tegon and Alio cautiously approached Ragon and Tilio as they snarled at each other. Ragon, being much larger than Tilio, pushed the red dragon aside and began courting Tegon. She bowed to him and clicked at him as the two of them turned and wandered off towards a group of destroyed trees. Tilio propped his head up at Alio and hurried over to her.

"Well i'll be damned. Looks like we've got three alphas now." Amy said.

I looked around at the destroyed section of valley, smoke bellowing and the sound of dragons moaning in pain filled my eyes and ears. The four defeated dragons were laying crippled in the burnt grass.

"They need our help. Come on." I said.