44

The Next Morning

      I woke early the next morning, just as the horizon was beginning to change color with the rising sun. Doron lay sleeping beside Veracon and Ragon as Micha and Tahli approached me, both rubbing their eyes.

"Morning Jess." Micha said as she came to my side.

"Sleep well?" I asked.

"Nope. You?"  She replied.

"Not in the slightest. Though I think the dragons slept pretty well." I said.

I looked back to all three dragons as they lay sleeping like babies.

"Well, we can't travel without them, get them up." I said.

We nudged at the dragons until eventually they woke. Doron raised his head and stretched his massive wings over me as he screeched slightly while folding them back up.

"You ready to make this happen?" I said confidently to Doron.

He looked down at me and purred as he pressed his giant snout up against my chest, knocking me over. I stood back up and placed my hand on the side of his jaw.

"Wake everyone, will you?" I said to him.

Doron turned and took off, followed by Veracon and Ragon. They spent the next several minutes flying low over the mostly sleeping mass of warriors, roaring and screeching to wake them. As the dragons finished their daily ritual of waking the army, Jonah came walking up to me, dropping to one knee.

"Ma'am, with your permission, I wish to ask you something." He said.

"Granted. Proceed." I replied.

"I must know why they are waking us so early in the morning, compared to usual. Am I correct in assuming we will change locations on this day?" He asked.

"Yes. You're correct in that assumption, you may rise by the way."

He rose his head and stood up to face Micha, Tahli and I.

"Well... Can I ask where we are relocating to? I sense something major."

"We are preparing to march on the king and his army. We will head off today, and in a few days time we will reach the kings defenses, defeat them, and if all goes well, put the kings reign of terror to an end." I said.

He looked surprised, but accepting an eager.

"When?"He asked.

"As soon as possible." I said as I walked back to climb atop Doron who had just landed behind me.

I climbed to Dorons head and prepared to speak to those who could here me.

"Get their attention." I commanded Doron.

Doron let out a deafening roar, grabbing the attention of the men closest to us.

"My brothers, I must have your attention. Anyone who can hear me, listen up, and spread the word. Today, we travel to the center of the kings empire, to bring this pointless suffering. Ready yourselves for several days travel, bring as many weapons and food as you can carry. Spread the word to your comrades." I shouted out as hundreds of men watched as I spoke.

I dismounted Doron carefully, and walked back over to Micha and Tahli.

"So, when are we going to leave?" Tahli asked.

"As soon as they've gathered everything they can carry. It will take hours for them all to be ready." I said.

Several hours later

Several dozen men approached from each direction on horse back, including Jonah. They all dismounted and dropped to one knee in front of me.

"Ma'am, the word has been spread, the army is ready to move. Each man carries as many weapons, and as much food and supplies as his horse can carry. With your order, we will follow you to the king." One man said.

"Rise." I said.

They all rose up to face me as I spoke.

"Return to your sectors. We move at once." I commanded.

The men bowed, then remounted their horses and took off into the sea of bodies.

"Let's do this." I said.

I mounted Doron, Tahli and Micha mounted their dragons as well. I gave Doron the command to take off, followed by Veracon and Ragon. As we flew over head, I looked over Dorons side to see men pointing up at me. The three of us circled over head. I held my bow up above my head and let out a war cry, which the men replied to with their own. A moment later the entire army was shouting war cries in support. We turned and started towards the center of the kings empire. The men on horses started behind us. I looked down again to see an endless sea of men on horses galloping below. In just a few days time, we would reach the empires center, and finally bring the ruthless dictatorship who took us over to its knees.

Hey Everyone!

If you're enjoying this story, be sure to check out my new story "The Mountain Dragon"! It can be found on my profile page and is still in progress, updates are daily or bi-daily on average.

Enjoy!