46

Doron roared from the cliff edge. The sound must have carried for miles, because several moments later, the men started to get up from the ground, and began preparing for the last leg of the journey. Dorons wake up call also woke Veracon and Ragon, who seemed a little confused as the looked around for a moment before coming to Micha and Tahli' side.

"Lets do this. If we move fast, we can be to the center in as little as five hours." I said as I mounted Doron.

Doron stepped right to the edge of the cliff as I stuck my head over his side.

"Move out!" I commanded.

The men at the base of the cliff started off towards the empire' center. Doron spread his wings and dove down the side of the cliff before leveling out just above the army. Veracon and Ragon followed close behind with Micha and Tahli on their backs. We flew for a couple of hours, flying back and forth over the massive army in order to not get to far ahead of them. The sun finally started to show itself peaking up over the mountains in the distance. I could feel doron tensing up, he seemed to sense what was happening. 

"Easy boy." I said as I rubbed his giant neck.

"Jess! We have got to land and figure out a plan!" Micha shouted.

We pulled out in front of the army and waved them off to stop, then landed and dismounted.

"We aren't far. But we can't just blindly attack. We have to know what we're heading into." Tahli said.

"So one us fly as a scout to see what's ahead." Micha said.

"Any volunteers?" I asked.

Both of them looked at each other, then back at me.

"Well, I guess i'll do it then." I said. 

I mounted Doron once again, then took off on my own to see what was ahead. I flew what felt like the blink of an eye, before up ahead, I saw a line of red shields lined up for miles in both directions. I didn't dare get close, assuming that i'd be shot down, and my dragon, killed. We weren't even close enough to the kings home to see it. The shield wall was clearly set up in preparation for our army, many many miles away from the kings home, likely forming a defensive circle all around.

I turned back towards the others, surprised at what I had seen. I arrived back at the waiting army, landed, and dismounted.

'Well? What did you see?" Micha asked as she and Tahli came running up to me.

"Shield wall, several dozen ranks deep, catapults, long range bows and archers all around the kings home several miles out. Can't even get close without getting shot down by those bows." I exclaimed.

"Can't we just go in high above the bows and attack the king behind the lines?" Micha asked.

"Not likely, it will probably be heavily defended by long range bows and archers, and we've got to take down his army either way." I said.

"So... What do we do?" Tahli asked.

"We attack. Now. We charge the shield wall, inflict as man casualties as we can, until we can break through it. If we can get some of the men to take out the defending long range bows around the kings home, we will have a clear path to burn it to the ground." I said.

They both looked at each other, having a brief visual conversation of doubt before looking back at me.

"So, what are we waiting for?" Micha asked.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. Our parents, along with thousands and thousands of others have died at the order of the king, now, we will get our revenge. With our three dragons, we will win." I said.