131

3 Days Later

We had flown for several days, over the forests and over the wide open plains, but had still not come across anything abnormal. We were flying aimlessly yet again over a wide open grassy field that seemed to go on forever, the only thing sticking out from the field was a wide, fast flowing river that stretched out to the horizon. It became obvious that Doron, along with the other two dragons had all taken notice to the river, as the three of them gazed down at it.

"Is something wrong?" I asked Doron, though I obviously got no answer.

Doron clicked several times, before rolling over and diving towards the river with Veracon and Ragon close behind. The three of them leveled out just above the river and glided silently, with only the sounds of the water flowing below, coupled with the flapping of wings and the wind whipping past me filling my ears. We flew for a while, without ascending away from the river. I scanned the horizon, searching for anything abnormal, when up ahead, a line of trees forming the edge of a forest appeared. As we approached the trees, Doron suddenly and abruptly  screeched and pitched up away from the river as Veracon and Ragon banked away and circled around.

"What's happening?!" I shouted.

Doron flipped over and dove down towards the ground as a group of people I had somehow missed looked up at him, before small projectiles started flying towards us. I couldn't see them, but I could here them flying past me, and every time one would fly past, a loud bang would go off. Doron spat fire at the large group of people, lighting the trees on fire as he passed over head. I looked over my shoulder to observe the mystery group as the aimed long, narrow rods up at us, which seemed to be where the invisible projectiles were coming from.

"What the hell are those things?" I asked myself as Veracon and Ragon finished off the group.

The three dragons came wing to wing for a moment before setting down in front of the small group of roasted attackers. I dismounted Doron and cautiously approached the dead bodies with my bow drawn, with Amy and Tahli close by my side. I looked over the scene and counted thirty-seven bodies before I knelt down in front of one of the bodies and picked up the unfamiliar weapon, and began looking it over. It was long, narrow, and had a hole in one end, with a large, flattened piece of wood at the other end, with small handles, including one that pulled back and locked into place. 

"What are these things?" Amy asked.

"I-I have no idea. I've never seen a weapon like this before." I replied.

As the three of us silently looked over the weapon, I heard more of the loud bangs the weapons made coming from the forest.

"There! Kill them all! Kill the girls!" A random voice exclaimed as seven more men ran out from the tree line.

I stumbled back as the projectiles from the weapons bounced off the dragons thick scales, before they all laid the large end of the weapons on the ground and began putting something into the hole on the narrow end.

"Doron! Fire!" I shouted.

But just before Doron finished them off, several more loud bangs erupted from the trees, seemingly dropping the seven men to the ground silently. I looked to the trees, to see ten people, male and female, of several ages emerging from the trees with the same weapons in hand. They tossed their weapons to the ground in front of them and threw their hands up in the air, before one of the younger girls shouted out to us.

"Don't kill us! We aren't here to hurt you! We're here to help you. Kill us, and you have no chance to defend your people from the impending doom that is coming down upon you! Please give us a chance!" She shouted as she dropped to her knees.