137

The four dragons ascended high above the forest below and started towards the dizzying maze of mountains that only a dragon could navigate flawlessly. For a brief moment, the four dragons flew through the clouds. The cool damp air making up the clouds that coated the sky chilled my skin for a moment before we breached the surface and was once again greeted by the harsh sunlight. Doron looked around at the clouds below, as though he could see through them. He made no sounds apart from the flapping of his wings as he scanned the cloud layer below us. Finally, after we had flown into the late hours of the morning, Doron became fixated on a certain spot in the clouds. He rolled slightly to the right, then dove down towards the clouds, with the other three dragons following behind him.

"What's happening?" Sue asked humbly.

"Dragons." I replied.

Doron dove through the thick layers of clouds, and spread his wings abruptly just as he came through them and straightened out above the mountains that covered the landscape for what looked like forever. I peered cautiously over Doron's side, scanning the mountains for any sign of dragons. Then, up ahead, I spotted a wide open space surrounded by mountains with lush grass and trees partially covering its otherwise open ground. A valley far bigger than the one we had lived in for the past several years. Dozens of dragons flew around over head, chasing after one another with quick bursts of flame lighting up the sky.

"Looks like you've all got a choice to make." I shouted as Doron flew around over head.

We flew off to the side and landed, mostly out of sight of the dragons in the valley due to the large slop leading up the far side of it. I dismounted Doron and waited for Lucy and the rest of her group to slowly make their way down to join me. Tahli, Amy and Bailey came to my side just as Jules stumbled off Doron's wing and nearly fell to the ground before Lucy grabbed hold of her arm to stop her.

"Alright. Catch your breath." I exclaimed to the group.

Doron hissed before turning and taking off in the direction opposite the valley, with Vernon, Ragon and Magar close behind.

"Where are they going?" Sue asked nervously.

"They've got no reason to wait around. They'll come back when we need them. Now, who's first?" 

The group looked around at one another for a moment. I waited for a someone to step forward, but soon realized that I would have to force a decision to be made.

"You! What is your name?" I asked while pointing to one of the young men in the group.

He froze for a moment before he propped his head up to respond.

"Ryder. My name is Ryder." He said.

"Ah! Ryder! Well that's rather fitting isn't it?" I said as I grabbed Ryder by his shoulder and started towards the valleys edge.

He didn't say anything as we approached the edge of the valley. I stepped to the edge of the massive wall that dropped straight down in front of us. Dozens of dragons were flooding the valley with a dazzling array of colours and sounds that pleasured my eyes and ears nearly as much as they did the day our three dragons hatched. I scanned the valley floor and noticed several dragons fighting with one another, with a lone dragon watching from off to the side.

"Why are they fighting?" Lucy asked.

"Young males. Fighting for mating rights. These ones have already proven their worth to Doron, and can now compete to breed. In a few years I can only imagine how many dragons will fill the sky." I replied.

Tahli prodded Ryder forward with her bow, pushing him towards a slow just flat enough to climb down. I turned to Ryder and motioned towards the valley.

"Now, you choose your dragon." I said as I placed my hand on his shoulder.