117

John and Easton came to join us as the remaining warriors rested off behind them. John's eyes were still read from the anguish he felt due to the loss of his son, while Easton tucked his bloody sword into his holder for it on his waist.

"Your son died protecting what he believed was right." I said as I placed my hand on John's shoulder.

He sniffled and whipped his eyes.

"You're right. Thank you." He said through a shaky voice.

"You and Easton ride with me now." I said as I turned to mount Doron.

The two followed me up to mount the dragon. Easton sat in front of John, who was in front of me.

"Let's go!" I shouted to the others.

Doron took off, followed closely by the remaining dragons as the surviving warriors followed below, inbound to the second defensive line. After what felt like for ever, the second line came into view as flaming boulders came flying at us, crushing hundreds of men below me. Men cried out in pain as they were helplessly crushed or burned by the flames. As we neared the shield wall of more highly trained soldiers, arrows began cutting down men on the ground below. I looked out in front of me to see dozens of horses and men falling every second under the constant shower of arrows raining down on them. Suddenly, a long range arrow flew towards us and hit Cumano in the chest. The blue dragon screeched as he flipped over and fell from the air spewing blood out from his chest wound until he hit the ground.

"Split up!" I shouted.

The remaining dragons split up and went off in their own directions as we dove on the shield wall. Doron roasted dozens of long range bows with one pass as Veracon did the same while flying towards him, then passing over head while screeching. I took aim with my bow and fired an arrow at one the bow crew men as Doron passed over, striking the soldier in the back.

"Dive now!" I shouted to Doron as he rolled over and prepared to dive again.

Easton and John grabbed hold of Doron's quills as he flipped over before he dove down towards the ground, strafing the soldiers below once again. As he circled around for another pass, several small arrows came flying up at us.

"Heads down!" I shouted to the two men.

John put his head down against Doron's back, but Easton was to slow to respond, and an arrow struck him in the side of the head, knocking him off the side of Doron.

"Easton!" John shouted as he let go of Doron's quills while trying to grab hold of Easton. 

"No don't let go!" Shouted as I foolishly did the same thing.

Doron was by now almost completely rolled over and just above the ground, so the moment the two of us let go, we fell from his back and collided with the ground seconds later. I stood up to see Doron breathing fire down on the soldiers up ahead as several more charged at the two of us. John drew his sword as I drew my bow. I fired several arrows into the group of approaching soldiers as John tore into them with his sword, before one managed to shove the his sword right through the side of John's neck and pulling it out the front, spilling his tongue out into the ground.

"Jessica!"

I turned to see Jonah jumping from his horse with his sword in hand, and slashing through the remaining soldiers as the charged at me. As he helped me up and spun around to face more soldiers ad they came at us, the entire field in front of us went up in flames as Doron flew over the two of us, but through the flames came four soldiers on horse back. Three with swords, the fourth drawing his bow and aiming it right at me before firing. I flinched as the arrow flew at me, before Jonah pushed me out of the way and I fell to the ground. I rolled back over to see Doron landing in front of me, and on the ground between me and Doron, was Jonah laying on the ground, with an arrow lodged in his chest.