23

I moved my gaze back and forth between Doron's wing, and his eyes as he looked at me. 

"Get on Jess." Micha said while motioning me towards Doron.

I cautiously Approached Doron, still wary that he may change his mind. I Climbed up his wing, until I came to find myself on the back of his neck. 

"Stay here, stay in the cave. Don't go outside the cave." I said to Micha as she looked at me from the edge of the cave mouth.

I grabbed onto the quills on the back of Dorons neck, and lay partially on my stomach, propping my head up to look around. I placed my hand on the side of his neck to get his attention, but he ignored me. I tried pulling on the quills but that did nothing either. Then I got the brilliant idea to talk to him.

"Doron... Fly." I said softly.

He tilted his head to look back at me, then he looked ahead, and spread his wings. I held on the his quills, pressed my head against the back of his neck, and prayed that I wouldn't slip and fall off. I looked over at Micha briefly, before Doron started forward towards the trees, flapped his wings, and started to lift off the ground slowly but surely. I got the courage to raise my head and look over the side of Dorons neck, we were getting higher and higher above the trees. As we got higher and higher, I got the courage to sit up, and look around. We were hundreds of feet in the air, the forest trees looked like pine needles from up that high. The air was cool and crisp. I looked out over the endless miles of forest and mountains. Then I looked off to the right and saw our cave in the distance.

"This is amazing." I said out loud as I out my arms out to my sides.

Just as I was getting comfortable, I heard a screech from behind me. I turned to see Veracon off to the left, and Ragon flying to my right. The came in as close as the could, Veracon flew over top us me and chirped as I waved at him. Ragon came right in behind Doron, only feet away from the tip of his tail. The formed up with Doron as they flew together in a triangle formation. The cool air whipping through my hair, blowing it all over the place. The Mountains and trees looked endless. 

I decided it was time to head back to the cave, I didn't want to leave Micha alone for much longer, as we had been in the air for several hours and the sun was startng to dip towards the horizon.

"Ok Doron, take me back to Micha." I said I a somewhat seductive tone.

Doron turned back towards the cave, Veracon and Ragon, We dropped down to tree level before we came to the clearing that surrounded the cave. Doron touched down and folded his wings in as Ragon and Veracon landed behind him. I stumbled as I dismounted Doron as Micha ran down to greet me. 

"Jess! Jess! How was it?!" Micha said excitedly as she jumped into my arms.

"It.. it was amazing. I've got to take you up next time." I said.

"So... now that you know you can ride Doron, can we finally get out of this forest? And use them for what we talked about for years?" Micha asked.

"What am I supposed to do with you? It's pointless for you to just ride on Doron with me. That puts you in danger for no reason." I said.

"Well... I could always learn to ride one of them." Micha said.

I didn't say anything for a moment.

"And what of the third dragon? If all three have riders, they could go off fighting in different places." I said.

"What about your old friend Tahli? If she's still around, we could bring her back with us. Perhaps we should have though to do that when we first came out here." Micha said.

"Micha, Tahli is locked up in jail. She has been there for almost six years for assaulting a guard when her dad was taken away." I said.

"Well, we have three dragons, why not go free her? Assuming she's still alive that is". Micha said.

"Well, before we go for a third dragon rider, we need to train the second." I said.

She smiled at me slightly. 

"So... Choose your dragon." I said.