127

Magar flew out to the center of the valley and landed in front of me, looking up at the sky as Doron's massive wings blocked out the sun as he flew in between the valley walls. The valley walls seemed farther away than any man could walk in a lifetime, and Doron's wings appeared to nearly scrape their edge as he descended down into the valley. His landing shook the valley floor as  He snapped at the dragons to his sides, ensuring he had a clear path to Magar as he confidently. The much smaller Magar pitched her head up to greet him as he lowered his head to her, the two touching their snouts together, the two of them purring in a deep, rumbling tone. The other dragons didn't dare get to close to Magar, as the last young male to attempt to do so had his wings torn off and his gut slashed open by Doron himself. 

"Nice to see you again." I said to the dragon as I stepped forward.

Magar retreated to join Bailey as Doron and I locked eyes and stood face to face for a moment. He blinked as he rotated his head sideways and looked me over before gently pushing his snout up against me, knocking me over with ease. Even so, it was amazing that such a massive and formidable creature could be capable of such passion and emotion.

"I missed you too." I said as I hugged his giant nose.

He cawed and clicked at me as he raised his head up above me.

"Want to go for a ride?" I asked as a smile grew across my face.

He clicked a few more times before bringing his left wing out in front of him, stretching it across the ground for me to climb up.

"Thought so." I said as I began to climb.

He had grown at a high rate over the past four years, and was unimaginably large compared to what he was during the fighting, so naturally I was almost out of breath when I finally reached my spot on his back. I grabbed hold of his quills and secured myself before looking down at the other dragons in the valley.

"Fly!"

Doron roared a deafening roar before spreading his wings and taking off out of the valley. He ascended quickly until we were soaring high above the forest below. The wind whipping through my hair reminded me of the first flight I shared with him, which clearly triggered sharp emotions in my delicate mind. 

"This never gets old." I said as I put my hands up above my head and let the cool air pass between my finger tips.

We flew for hours, into the mountains, between their peaks, as well as high above them. The sky felt empty knowing dragons had spread themselves out across the vast terrain. Every so often, a young dragon would venture close to Doron, and fly in his wake for a while before splitting off and disappearing, though they mostly left him alone. He was by far the largest, and the most dominant dragon in the world. It was a humbling feeling knowing that dragons ten or twenty times his size were once a common sight across this land.

"There. Land there." I said while pointing to a rather flat mountain top that was far lower than many of the others.

He banked to the left and dove down to the mountain, circling it several times before managing to land. I cautiously dismounted the dragon before I walked up beside him and sat down with my legs crossed. In the distance I could see several young dragons flying together, though they were so far off their sounds were silenced by the vast distance between us.

"You're still the best. I mean that. Without you we never would have won." I said as I laied my head up against his neck.

I sat up against the dragon, feeling his heart beat, his breath, and his powerful muscles. I felt at ease, and relaxed and, for once, genuinely happy, though I knew from experience to never let emotions linger for to long, or you suffer regret that would be inescapable.