78

I felt weak, numb and drained. It was then that I realized that I hadn't slept in an absurd amount of time. I looked over at Amy who seemed to be the same, her eyes red and her face pale. Doron and Veracon seemed to sense what was going on as they both started over to us as Ragon rejoined Tahli.

"Bailey, come!" I shouted to her as she watched the dragons join us.

Bailey wandered over to me as Doron set himself down behind us.

"You need some sleep. You're had a long night. Come." I said.

Bailey followed me as Doron raised his wing up for us to crawl under.

"I'm off to sleep for a while." Amy said as she crawled under Veracon's wing.

"We sleep under them?" Bailey asked.

"Yes. Come." I said as I crawled under the dragons wing.

Bailey followed suit and joined me. I laid down in the soft long grass on my left side and motioned for Bailey to do the same.

"Come, lay down. It's time for a rest." I said.

Bailey turned on her left side and I wrapped my right arm over her chest. I could feel her falling asleep almost instantly. I felt my eyes start to close, and before I knew it, I had fallen asleep as well.

I woke a few hours later to the feeling of heat on my skin. I squinted as I opened my eyes. The sun was shining through the thin skin of Doron's wing. I stuck my head up to see Bailey still fast asleep. 

"Hey, wake up." I said as I tapped her on the side of her head.

She slowly started to open her eyes before she noticed me hovering over her.

"Sleep good?" I asked as Doron lifted his wing.

"Not really." She said.

I chuckled.

"Well, best be getting used to that." I said as we crawled out from under Doron's wing.

By now the sun had fully risen, and Amy had already woken and joined Tahli for breakfast.

"Hungry?" I asked Bailey.

"Yeah, what do we have?" She asked.

"Fox this time." Tahli said with a mouth full of meat.

"How do all the warriors get food?" Bailey asked as she sat down on the ground beside Amy.

"They might hunt for themselves, but sometimes our dragons hunt down larger animals from the plains, far from here, and bring them back and spread them out for the men to share. Many people went hungry in the time that the dragons were gone." I explained.

"Speaking of which, we can't keep waiting around for something to happen. We must leave and attack the king once again." Tahli said.

I paused, before standing up and motioning for Tahli to follow. As we got away from Amy and Bailey, we turned our backs to talk in whisper.

"We can't just attack like we did last time. We can only do what we have done already. Wait for soldiers to venture to close, before attack them on our turf. Eventually we will kill off enough of them that the king has no defense." I exclaimed.

"That will take far to long. We would stand a much better chance if we could some how lure the bulk of his army into either the forest, or an unfamiliar open area that we could surround and ambush them." Tahli said.

"How would we manage that?" I asked firmly.

"I-I don't know. Perhaps we could send a smaller group of men to draw them out, thinking the whole army was attacking. Then we could ambush from above, in front, and behind." Tahli said while placing her hand on her chin in thought.

Just then, Jonah came out of the trees on his horse.

"No luck. If he's here, we can't seem to find him." He said as he dismounted and started towards us.

"Jonah, we are trying to decide what to do. We have sat here for far to long. Men have died of starvation, many others weakened by it. We can't stay here, but an attack like last time would be suicide for us all." I said.

"I suggested that we send a group of a few thousand men to draw the bulk of the army out, then the rest attack while the kings men are occupied, catching them off guard." Tahli said.

Jonah shrugged his shoulders.

"That sounds like a decent idea to me. All we have done for countless months now is sit and wait for small groups of soldiers to venture to close, for us to ambush. We have killed small groups of scouts, assassins, and normal foot soldiers, but the king has far to many men for this tactic to be used any further." He said while nodding his head.

"So... What do we do?" I asked.

"Jonah, take a large group of men, a few thousand of them as close to the center as you can get. The rest of the army, along with us and the dragons will be waiting. Lead them to the mountains. We will ambush the bulk of the army there, where they have limited mobility. If the king is smart, he will have his men pursue what he thinks is our full army. They will see you heading for the mountains and think they will be able to corner and finish us. Then we will attack from the rear." Tahli said.

Jonah and I looked at each other.

"That sounds like a good plan." Jonah said.

"A good number of the kings men will stay near the center to protect him and his family members. Though I agree the bulk of them will follow our men into the mountains." I said in addition.

"Right. Let's do this." Jonah said.

I kissed Jonah, before he mounted his horse and Rode off. He returned several hours later with thousands of men at his back lining the edge of the clearing. He dismounted his horse and came towards me.

"I've got a good number of men. We are heading towards the center. You all head out to the mountains in that direction. If all goes well, we should arrive with the kings men at our backs in a couple of weeks." He said.

"Okay. We'll get going. I love you, be careful." I said.