56

I tried a few doors, before I finally came to one that wasn't locked. I made a small fire with a couple of rocks, lit a thick branch with one end wrapped in thick cloth I had with me, then proceeded into the tiny building. I don't know why I felt so compelled to go in, perhaps it was just my curiosity getting the better of me, but I felt drawn to go in side. Then, I heard a noise come from a small room just behind me as I froze in fear for a moment. I pulled my dagger and cautiously pushed the door open.

"No! Please don't hurt me!"

I jumped back as a small girl fell to the ground crying and covering her face.

"Don't worry! I'm not here to hurt you." I said as I dropped my Knife and held my my hands out to the side.

The young girl looked battered and beaten, bruises all over her, her clothes torn and stained.

"What are you doing in here?" She asked.

"I'm just passing through, I'm looking for someone. What on earth were you hiding in here for?" I asked in reply.

She looked down at the ground as I closed the door behind me.

"I've got no home. Soldiers killed my mother, my fathers off fighting the king, and I was afraid to find someone else to live with so I've been homeless ever since. They died a few months ago"." She said as she sat up against the walls.

"I'm Jessica. What's your name?" 

She looked up.

"I'm Amy smith."

"Nice to meet you Amy. How old are you?" I asked.

"I'm sixteen. You?"

I chuckled. 

"I don't even know any more." I said as I sat down beside her.

"I gave you my last name, i'd like to know yours." She said.

I hesitated for a moment.

"Albo."

Her eyes went wide.

"Your Jessica Albo?!" She said excitedly.

"Yes, I am."

"What the hell are you doing here? I thought you were off fighting the kings army with the dragons? The dragons are real right?" She asked.

"Yes. They're real. I ride the biggest, Doron, my friend Tahli rides Ragon, and my sister Micha rode Veracon." I said.

She gave me a puzzled look.

"Rode?"

I sighed.

"She was shot down in the first major attack and killed, along with her dragon. The other two flew off a few weeks ago and we haven't seen them since. I'm here looking for them." I said.

"You think your dragon is in this school?" Amy said.

"No, I just felt the urge to explore." I said.

She chuckled.

"Well, the dragon girl certainly couldn't have picked a better room to stumble into." She said as she pointed to the book shelf behind me.

I turned and walked over to the book shelf. Amy came to my side and pulled a rather thick book from the shelf. I caught a glimpse of the cover and title.

'The Takeover'

"What's this?" I asked.

"It's a historical account of all the fighting that took place when the kings ancestors came here. It holds thousands of records of all the recorded fights." She said.