93

We flew high above the open plains for nearly an hour. Then, Doron broke the silence with a deafening screech. I looked over his side to see a massive herd of elk below. 

"Hang on." I said to Bailey.

Doron banked left and towards the ground. Veracon and Ragon stayed at the rear of the group as we dove down towards the herd. As Doron came to just above the ground, the herd started running. Doron dropped down on an elk with his giant claws, crushing it under his weight. I looked to the right to see Veracon and Ragon snatching up their own kills.

"Why don't they use fire?" Bailey asked.

"They don't need to. They're big enough to just step on what ever they're hunting. The smaller ones will need to use their fire though." I replied.

Doron stared circling around over head as Yulion and Derion dove down on the herd and unleashed their flames. Several elk were caught in the blaze and collapsed to the ground, squealing in pain as the two dragons dropped down on their burning victims and started ripping them apart.

"That's it!" I shouted.

Tegon screeched as he passed over top of us, his bright white wings flashing with the light of the sun. He dove down on an elk calf and roasted it as he passed in front of it. He circled around, and grabbed hold of the calves neck, shaking it violently until it started pouring blood.

"Good job Tegon!" Bailey yelled.

"Look, there's Magar." I said

Bailey turned around as Magar flew under us from the right and came down on a mother and calf. She lit the pair up and crash landed on top of the two elk, before taking the calf by the neck and snapping it, putting it down.

"Doron, down." I said.

Doron landed beside Magar and her two kills as the herd passed us by. Bailey and I slide down Doron's wing and came to Magar's side as she tore open the adult elk. The calf was moaning and squirming around on the ground. Magar grabbed it by the neck and nearly tore its head off with one violent shake. In the distance, the remaining dragons took down their own kills as the herd continued on. Veracon and Ragon landed behind us, and moments later Amy and Tahli were standing at my side.

"That went well. I see Magar here got two." Tahli said.

Blood was dripping off Magar's bright purple jaw as she swallowed the elks heart. Several years ago, the sight of anything dead on the ground with its intestines spilled out on the ground in a pool of blood would have made me sick,  now, it was uncommon to go a week without seeing it.

"We'll let them eat, then head back."  I said as I sat down in the grass beside Doron.

As I fiddled with my bow, Tegon flew down and landed beside Magar and started hissing at her in an attempt to get a scrape of meat. She allowed him to take the calf, as she didn't seem interested in finishing it off. 

Several minutes later, the other five dragons came to join us, all with blood covering their faces. They snapped at each other play fully as I gathered my bow and turned towards Doron.

"Right. A few more hunts and they'll be able to track their own prey with out help." I said.

"Good job today." Bailey said behind me.

I turned around to see her stroking Magar's bloody snout as she purred calmly.

"Bailey, come on we've got to get back before sundown." I said.

"Hang on a minute." She said softly as Magar pressed up against her chest, knocking her over.

Bailey stood back up and brushed her self off before patting Magar on the top of her head before turning to join me. But Magar cut her off and nudged her backwards. She locked eyes with Bailey for several seconds, before lowering her head to the ground and stretching her wing out across the grass.

"Oh my." Tahli said softly.

"She wants you to get on!" Amy exclaimed.

Bailey hesitated to get on as Magar shifted her body sideways, so I went over to help her.

"Don't be nervous. She's the same as Doron, just a lot smaller." I said as I prodded her forward.

She looked back at me repeatedly, before finally climbing Magar's wing. Magar was smaller than Doron was when I flew with him for the first time, but she seemed adamant to fly back with Bailey. She settled at the base of Magar's neck and grabbed hold of her small quills.

"Tell her to fly." I said.

"Fly?" Bailey said with a questioning voice. 

Doron hissed at Magar as soon as Bailey gave the command to fly. Magar spread her wings and started into a run while flapping her wings. She flapped until I saw her feet lift off the ground and tuck up against her body.

"Hang on!" I shouted.